• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Strategy for beating old Over Draft Debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Strategy for beating old Over Draft Debt

Originally posted by Debt Camel View Post
    Did you ask them to close the accounts or reduce the overdraft limit?

what do you mean by "regulated debt" and why do you think in the case of the overdraft interest can't be charged after a sale - do you have copies of the T&Cs?
    I did a bank account transfer but i never thought they would keep the old account open with the same credit limit. i didnt ask for it to be closed but then i never thought banks would be stupid enough to double the credit limits right up to 55k unsecured. They clearly keep them open so you will eventually use the credit and they will make money from you. it was all part of the irresponsible lending of the credit boom. Today im guessing they would demand the old account is closed or credit limit reduced.

You cant add 8% interest under s69 of the county court act 1984. This is for commercial debts between companies or unregulated debt

County Courts (Interest on Judgment Debts) Order 1991 (SI 1991 No 1184). The order excludes a range of cases from judgment
    interest, including suspended orders for possession, debts regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974

Comment

OK, well I am not saying this would be an easy defence - it wouldn't! - but you could add to the possible pile asserting that there was an unfair relationship because the back failed to do proper affordability checks. It was aware you were moving your debt elsewhere, it should have considered reducing your credit limit.

County Courts (Interest on Judgment Debts) Order
      but that relates to interest after judgment, it says nothing about interest before a CCJ, which is what you are objecting to.

Comment

you could add to the possible pile asserting that there was an unfair relationship because the back failed to do proper affordability checks. It was aware you were moving your debt elsewhere, it should have considered reducing your credit limit.
        I take your point but the original bank wouldn't be offering new lending so I'm not sure they should be responsible for affordability checks on the continuation of existing borrowing.

On that basis anyone who applies for a new credit card or loan should expect to have other existing lines of credit closed or reduced. Surely the business offering the new line of credit is the one who should be acting responsibly not the other way round.

I'd be jolly cross if my bank closed my account simply because I took advantage of a 0% balance transfer deal elsewhere.

As you say it wouldn't be an easy defence.

Di
        Last edited by Diana M; 9th December 2016, 12:17:PM. Reason: Typo - duplicated word

Comment

Originally posted by Diana M View Post
          I take your point but the original bank wouldn't be offering new lending so I'm not sure they should be responsible for affordability checks on the continuation of existing borrowing.
          Indeed - CONC 6.2 specifically covers significant increases. That's why this would be a hard defence.

re interest being added,there has to be a term in the original agreement that allows this after an assignment, doesn't there?

Comment

Indeed - CONC 6.2 specifically covers significant increases. That's why this would be a hard defence.

re interest being added,there has to be a term in the original agreement that allows this after an assignment, doesn't there?
            S69 refers to simple interest and specifically commercial debts. imo they are trying it on.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X