• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell solicitors/court letter. Vodafone Debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowell solicitors/court letter. Vodafone Debt

Hi All,

I am writing this on behalf of a friend and i am wondering what the chances are that he will win his case.

Back in 2013 he was contacted by vodafone saying that as he was a loyal customer and always paid his bills on time that he would be eligible to have a tablet free of charge as a gift. He said to vodafone that he would like more time to think about whether he would like to receive the tablet as a free gift or not. Without his permission vodafone sent him a tablet in the post. When he opened the box he found not only 1 but 2 tablets in the box. He visited his local vodafone store and the customer service representative said to him that he would arrange courier collection for the 2 devices as he didn't say that he would like to receive what he thought was going to be 1 tablet for free.

The courier never came to collect the devices. He then phoned Vodafone customer services up asking why a courier hasn’t come to collect the devices. He was then informed the tablets were Non-returnable. Customer Service told Him that He missed the deadline to return the devices and couldn’t do nothing about it even though he never agreed to signing up to anything in the first place.

He cancelled his direct debit for his current contract and because Vodafone had send him these tablets with a sim card his bill went to £90 a month without any notification that had he signed up to received a free tablet there was any cost for a monthly contract with that.

To this day the tablets have remained in the box with the security seals intact. the SIM card that was sent with the devices has also not been opened because he never ever agreed to signing up for this.

He has repeatedly called vodafone asking for proof of an electronic signature of the telephone recording that took place to say that he had given them permission to sign him up for the tablets in which they have never been able to give any evidence. His debt has been sold and passed around various debt agencies and we've finally now got to this stage where it is being taken to court.

Thanks for reading

Ashley
    Tags: None

Re: Lowell solicitors/court letter. Vodafone Debt

Hi Goalmaster6 & welcome to LB.

Has your friend actually received a court claim, or a letter before claim from Lowells (or their legal rep)?
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Hi Charitynjw

I believe my friend has received a court claim. He has 14 days to reply on whether he wants to dispute the claim or pay. The letter mentioned £70 court fees so i'm guessing that this is going to court.

Lowell solicitors are taking action on this.

Comment

Does it look something like this, with a court seal, claim number and issue date?

CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Oh no, As far am i'm aware it doesn't look like that. I shall get a photo and post it later.

Comment

OK, So he just told me that the paperwork he received had to be sent back to Lowell solicitors limited and also to the County Court Business centre in Northampton stating that he intends to defend all of the claim.

Comment

Originally posted by Goalmaster6 View Post
              Oh no, As far am i'm aware it doesn't look like that. I shall get a photo and post it later.
              Ok. It's best to know what we're dealing with.

OK, So he just told me that the paperwork he received had to be sent back to Lowell solicitors limited and also to the County Court Business centre in Northampton stating that he intends to defend all of the claim.
              CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
              Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Please see attached.
                Attached Files

Comment

Please see attached.
                  Has the claim been acknowledged?

If not he must do so asap if this is not done he will get a judgement by default!

He should acknowledge via Money Claim online (MCOL) and state his intention to defend in full, he should Not enter any defence at this stage.
                  This acknowledgment gives him 28 days to file a defence from the date the claim was issued.

nem

Comment

Hi Nem,

He has replied with documents that came in the post notifying Lowells and and the court saying that he is appealing and this has been sent recorded delivery.

Comment

Ok that's an N1STD court claim form.
                      Does it have a court claim number on it? (ie have you redacted it?)
                      If you have doubts as to it's validity, you can phone the court to check.
                      If it is kosher (it looks so to me) it should be acknowledged with the court (not necessary to Lowells; the court will do that) asap, & certainly within 19 days of the claim issue date.

Edit
                      Posts crossed with [MENTION=55034]nemesis45[/MENTION] (Good afternoon, nem)
                      CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                      Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Hi Nem,

He has replied with documents that came in the post notifying Lowells and and the court saying that he is appealing and this has been sent recorded delivery.
                        Appealing what there has been no judgement to appeal, so it's a defence needed Not an appeal

If possible I would like to see what he has sent to the claimant and the court.

Has he actually acknowledged service of the claim properly if not he may well be heading towards a judgement by default or has just returned the court forms saying he want to " appeal"??

Comment

Hi Charity,

It does have a claim number on it but i thought I'd remove it just for privacy.

He has sent a letter to the court.

What are the next steps from here?

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                            Ok that's an N1STD court claim form.
                            Does it have a court claim number on it? (ie have you redacted it?)
                            If you have doubts as to it's validity, you can phone the court to check.
                            If it is kosher (it looks so to me) it should be acknowledged with the court (not necessary to Lowells; the court will do that) asap, & certainly within 19 days of the claim issue date.

Edit
                            Posts crossed with @nemesis45 (Good afternoon, nem)
                            Good afternoon [MENTION=5553]charitynjw[/MENTION]

A very confusing thread?

nem

Comment

Hi Charity,

It does have a claim number on it but i thought I'd remove it just for privacy.

He has sent a letter to the court.

What are the next steps from here?
                              If it were me I'd do as [MENTION=55034]nemesis45[/MENTION] has suggested (post #12).
                              There may be a bit of unpicking to do.
                              CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                              Phelps, C. C.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X