• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Advice Needed...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice Needed...

Hi all,

I would be extremely grateful if you would be able to offer me any suggestions on the best way forward in my situation, I am a first time poster so advance apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place, not following forum etiquette etc.

The particulars are as follows: Claimant claims the balance under a contract that I made with Shop Direct dated on or about Oct 2009 and which was assigned to them on April 25 2014.

I never had any mail order contracts with Shop Direct group, having checked my credit file it gives me no other details other than stating that Capquest owns the debt and I defaulted on 03/04/2014.

I do however remember having an ARGOS store card which I did default on and am not sure if this is the account because I thought Argos traded under the Home Retail Group. How would I find out if this is the case and also as the Argos account would have defaulted sometime back in 2009/2010 why does my credit file show a default date of 2014 which is when Capquest bought the debt?

If indeed this is the Argos debt would it now not be statute barred as no payments would have been made within the last 6 years? Would I be able to use this limitation as a valid defence?

I have responded to the claim by acknowledge service and that I intend to defend but am unsure what my next steps should be. Having read through a few of the templates I have seen others being advised to request copies of the original contracts and also to request details of when the last payment was made etc.

Would appreciate any help. Thank you.

Issue Date: 02 Dec 2016
    Amount approx: £771
    Claimant: Capquest Investments Ltd
    Solicitor: Restons
    Original Creditor: Shop Direct
    Particulars of Claim: Please type out in full excluding names/account numbers
    Is the debt Statute Barred?
    List any letters you have sent: None so far
    Any Other Info: Have completed an acknowledgement of service online, intend to defend.

Tags: None

Re: Advice Needed...

CCA Request || CPR 31.14 Request |

- - - Updated - - -

Wednesday, 4 January 2017 your defence should be in by this date

- - - Updated - - -

Defence Example adjust to you circumstances
    [MENTION=1937]nemisis[/MENTION]45

Comment

Thank you very much for your reply Mike770. I sent the CCA request and CPR to both Restons and Capquest and also a request to Shopdirect for the info they hold on me under the DPA. Have yet to hear back.

Comment

you must get your defence ready as the court rules time limit not solicitors or claimants, meantime work on the fact that no documentation received from your request, failure for you to submit your defence by that date would mean they get a CCJ against you by default, but do not lodge it thru MCOL until a day or two before deadline as you can update any details if you receive the requested documents, meantime look in here for questions/answer, Nemisis has been alerted to view for you???

Comment

I have looked at the sample defence posted by Nemisis45 and advice given to other users, have my main points ready to type up. Would it be a good idea to post it on here when ready? Thank you for clarifying the date defence due and the tips regarding filing. Much appreciated.

Comment

type it up provisionally then come back here and request again Nemesis or Ame no doubt will direct you how to post or PM

Comment

Will do that. Thanks again.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X