• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Deputy district judge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deputy district judge

If a claim from the High Court has been transferred to the County Court for a District Judge to consider can a Deputy District Judge take proceedings instead of the one on the Order in this case District and not Deputy District Judge.

Any help would be appreciated on the rules would be handy.masroll:
    Tags: None

Re: Deputy district judge

give more info pls

Comment

My claim was issued and within the High Court and directions giving under the multi-track procedure however the other side made an application for the case to be fast track and that was that, it was transferred to the local county court on the provision that the case be considered by a District Judge.

Since discovered a Deputy DJ dealt with the othersides application to have my claim thrown out, this despite the High Court judge ordering any applications and within the County Court being considered or Ordered by a District Judge as opposed to a Deputy District Judge.

Not sure if there is a difference in level of judge or that as the Order to transfer specified a District Judge would compelling and a District Judge should have adjudged the application??

Thanks in advance

Comment

Originally posted by andydub View Post
        My claim was issued and within the High Court and directions giving under the multi-track procedure however the other side made an application for the case to be fast track and that was that, it was transferred to the local county court on the provision that the case be considered by a District Judge.

Since discovered a Deputy DJ dealt with the othersides application to have my claim thrown out, this despite the High Court judge ordering any applications and within the County Court being considered or Ordered by a District Judge as opposed to a Deputy District Judge.

Not sure if there is a difference in level of judge or that as the Order to transfer specified a District Judge would compelling and a District Judge should have adjudged the application??

Thanks in advance
        This was after allocations questionnaire were completed by both parties.

Comment

This was after allocations questionnaire were completed by both parties.
          Any advice would be great.

Comment

I doubt you have grouds for complaint: https://www.judiciary.gov.uk/about-t...ct-judge-role/

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
              I doubt you have grouds for complaint: https://www.judiciary.gov.uk/about-t...ct-judge-role/

Thanks for that des8 that helps, just a little bit curious as to how a claim unspecified for 25k or more ended up being dealt with by a Deputy DJ add to that the complex of the case i personally do not feel that he was in a position to take on such a case.

Add to that he refused to consider evidence that i had previously obtained from a solicitor/barrister which should have been considered and the fact that he was aware and asked in application for the other side to show they had a contract all of this seemed to be brushed under the carpet, conveniently.

Giving the value of claim and giving a High Court Master had previously stated the case and claim should be considered under Multi-track was the Deputy DJ I would not say qualified but giving the value in a position to make Orders/Judgments because this would appear to be at complete odds with what the rules state.

Comment

Thanks for that des8 that helps, just a little bit curious as to how a claim unspecified for 25k or more ended up being dealt with by a Deputy DJ add to that the complex of the case i personally do not feel that he was in a position to take on such a case.

Add to that he refused to consider evidence that i had previously obtained from a solicitor/barrister which should have been considered and the fact that he was aware and asked in application for the other side to show they had a contract all of this seemed to be brushed under the carpet, conveniently.

Giving the value of claim and giving a High Court Master had previously stated the case and claim should be considered under Multi-track was the Deputy DJ I would not say qualified but giving the value in a position to make Orders/Judgments because this would appear to be at complete odds with what the rules state.
                Any help and in particular as to the level of judge assigned and giving the value of the claim giving by the previous order made by the Master within the High Court would as always be appreciated.

Comment

The only difference between a DJ and DDJ is the level of experience, as DJ's are usually appointed after a period of time serving as a DDJ. I guess the argument you have is that the case was not considered as per the Order of the High Court and in that sense as you put it, may not have had the relevant experience to cope with such a claim of this value and nature.

Appeal route would be the only way to go on this I think on the basis that the claim was heard by the incorrect type of judge, but perhaps other appeal points on disregarding the evidence before him which is another appeal point in itself.
                  If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                  LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                  Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by R0b View Post
                    The only difference between a DJ and DDJ is the level of experience, as DJ's are usually appointed after a period of time serving as a DDJ. I guess the argument you have is that the case was not considered as per the Order of the High Court and in that sense as you put it, may not have had the relevant experience to cope with such a claim of this value and nature.

Appeal route would be the only way to go on this I think on the basis that the claim was heard by the incorrect type of judge, but perhaps other appeal points on disregarding the evidence before him which is another appeal point in itself.
                    Again thanks for that, appreciated.

So say for arguments sake a party has grounds to appeal because the judge who may well of failed to consider evidence that could be identified or associated with his handling of what was a complex case and did not comply with the previous Order made at the High Court would this be a case of seeking a judicial review immediately?

Would it be a case of appealing the process of the case or doing both, appealing judgment/abuse of process, if that is to be established.

Comment

In a normal civil claim you wouldn't seek a judicial review, it would be appeal unless the issue relates to an administrative body.

I also not sure on abuse of process as it relates to the way the judge has handled the case and made the decision, which would be the appeal route. Presumably if the case was remitted to the the county court, you may be able to appeal in the county court, though you might be advised to go the High Court route.

Parties have two grounds of appeal

An error in the law

Some irregularity or procedural error - it is this limb that you could bring an appeal, for example if the judge fails to give proper reasons for their decision or the way in which the judge handled the evidence such as disregarding key evidence that is before them or did not examine any of the arguments relevant to the claim. Another one could be where you had no opportunity to make any submissions on a particular point
                      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

In a normal civil claim you wouldn't seek a judicial review, it would be appeal unless the issue relates to an administrative body.

I also not sure on abuse of process as it relates to the way the judge has handled the case and made the decision, which would be the appeal route. Presumably if the case was remitted to the the county court, you may be able to appeal in the county court, though you might be advised to go the High Court route.

Parties have two grounds of appeal

An error in the law

Some irregularity or procedural error - it is this limb that you could bring an appeal, for example if the judge fails to give proper reasons for their decision or the way in which the judge handled the evidence such as disregarding key evidence that is before them or did not examine any of the arguments relevant to the claim. Another one could be where you had no opportunity to make any submissions on a particular point
                        Is there a time limit if a party thinks that there may have been some irregularity or procedure error and can failing to make a submission on a particular point be considered or considered a procedure error? The other side failed to provide a contract y application for them to proof this was as with most of the evidence that went in my favour dismissed and not relevent to the case which i feel were relevent if not crucial.

I would be inclined to let the High Court as opposed to the County Court consider the merits giving the complex of the case and appeal, can i request this immediately and what would be the fee?

Comment

As always any advice on the subject would be appreciated, thanks.

Comment

time limit to appeal is 21 days from the date of the judgment not when you receive the order.

Appeal fees are set out on the .gov website if you google high court fees it will tell you the cost for appealing.
                            LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

time limit to appeal is 21 days from the date of the judgment not when you receive the order.

Appeal fees are set out on the .gov website if you google high court fees it will tell you the cost for appealing.
                              Can an appeal be made after the cut-off period 21 days?

If the evidence or the facts relating to the appeal are denied or become apparent after that period is there a process on which a party can try and place reliance on.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X