• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Ill health, Medication and retirement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ill health, Medication and retirement

I am applying retiring from teaching due to ill health. A very quick question: IN order to qualify for full retirement I have to prove I can no longer work again. I take morphine, diazepam and other strong painkillers regularly. What is the law concerning working and taking these strong opiates and sedatives please?
    Tags: None

Re: Ill health, Medication and retirement

There isn't any law. A lot of people continue working taking these medications. Ill-health retirement is based on whether you can work or not, not the medications you take.

Comment

Curious so if these drugs cause an individual , to not function properly in their roll surely they should be considered for retiring for ill health reasons ? midnighter i am by no means qualified but if the drugs are impairing your ability to function " normally " within your work environment i would seek advice from your GP / Consulatant etc .... Many people do function well on a myriad of drugs , some don't everyone is an individual .

Comment

Originally posted by Tincan View Post
        Curious so if these drugs cause an individual , to not function properly in their roll surely they should be considered for retiring for ill health reasons ? midnighter i am by no means qualified but if the drugs are impairing your ability to function " normally " within your work environment i would seek advice from your GP / Consulatant etc .... Many people do function well on a myriad of drugs , some don't everyone is an individual .
        That's why I said that the decision is based on whether you can work or not. In some cases the impacts of medications might be that you can't, but in others that wouldn't be the case. For example, I have a medicine cabinet that a junkie would love to get their hands on. Several controlled drugs including morphine. And I can work fine. Someone else on the same medications maybe couldn't. But the test is the ability of the person to do their work (or, in some cases, depending on the scheme, it may be to do any work) - not what medications they are on or what is wrong with them.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X