• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

BOBSCOUSE v Dom & Gen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOBSCOUSE v Dom & Gen

Hi all,

I would really appreciate some advice please.

Basics are as follows.
    I have a Repair Protection Plan including Accidental Damage with Domestic & General. On 13th March 08 I telephoned D&G to ask for repair to my TV as it had a 2 inch crack in middle of screen. Engineer called within days to look at problem, acknowledged fault and specified replacement cabinet as being the resolution. I queried as to me, definition of cabinet on a TV is the case/plastics which house the CRT/screen and electronics. I was assured that this was correct part.

6 weeks later I phoned and complained as I hadnt heard anything about when the repair could be done. They were still awaiting the part. 2 weeks later, TV taken and cabinet replaced - guess what, when it came back there was still the same crack in the screen so I was right in querying. Here we are, 4 weeks later, going into a 13th week since I started my quest and they have just told me that they have authorised a replacement CRT/screen for the set. My belief is that the CRT will take as long, if not longer to obtain, than the cabinet.

I don't want to wait another 8 weeks before I can sit down and watch TV without the distraction of this crack in the middle of the screen (this was a £2000 top of range Toshiba) and would prefer that they just replace the set.

Do I have any grounds for insisting that this is done, or is there any other action which I could take rather than having to accept that they will replace the tube and I will have to wait a number of weeks for it to be done. In the second post below I have pasted a letter which I am about to send to Dom&Gen. At the end of the letter I threaten further action, but need to know on what grounds I can make this threat - they must be governed by some Act surely???

Re: BOBSCOUSE v Dom & Gen

As I indicated towards the end of my 1st post, I have pasted the letter which I am looking to send to Dom&Gen. It gives some more detail behind the saga which will show how the time has passed. Would really appreciate any comments/advice please.

I am sending this message to follow up on a telephone conversation that I had with an advisor this afternoon. As I am not entirely satisfied as a result of the telephone conversation I am writing to detail my complaint and ask that it is dealt with by the Customer Care Manager.

I made the point during this telephone call that I am reluctant for the proposed replacement of the CRT on my Toshiba television to proceed for various reasons. I will explain my reasoning for this.

The cabinet which was replaced in error took 7/8 weeks to arrive/replace. I had to raise a complaint during that period due to a lack of communication as no-one had contacted me to apologise for or explain the delay. I left it until after approximately 6 weeks as I have a tendency towards being a reasonable, patient person. It was extremely annoying, especially after my raising concerns that the cabinet may not be the right part to replace, that this eventually did turn out to be the wrong part. When I had asked during face to face conversation if the screen would be part of the cabinet which he said required replacement, the engineer had originally responded with a straightforward "Yes, all we need to do is replace the case". As I was unconvinced by his assessment, I rang and queried with your own staff and they gave assurances that the cabinet "includes an outer screen to protect the CRT" - this has been proven to be absolute made up nonsense (I could say that in one less polite word, but I'm too much of a gentleman). I am not placing the blame for this particular error on your staff as it is the engineer who is at fault, but equally so, they would be well advised not to fabricate evasive statements on issues of which they have no knowledge. The engineers’ excuse to you for replacing the wrong part was that he had not noticed the crack in the screen. He has clearly stated on his own repair docket (a copy of which I scanned and forwarded to yourselves) that the fault is a “2 inch crack in screen”.

I have now endured further weeks of delays, this time due to the incompetence of your claims department and their inability to read and understand their own Accidental Damage claim form. At Question 3 of the form it is asked “Are the contents of your home insured elsewhere, either by you or anyone else?” to which I responded “NO”. It then goes on to state “If YES, state name and address of insurer, policy number and sum insured”. This part of the form was left blank due to my previous answer being NO, logically and correctly so. I was annoyed by receipt of your letter dated 19th May advising that I had missed out answering a question and telephoned on 22nd May to point out the error which had been made in sending this correspondence. I spoke to an Elaine Blake on this occasion and was told that the Claims Department had been notified of their error and that they had advised the claim as being clear for processing. I sought reassurance from Elaine before ending the call that the claim was now able to proceed, and received this reassurance from her.

On the 30th May I had still not heard anything from the Claims Department and telephoned again to request an update on proceedings. I was angered when advised that the Claims Department were waiting on my response to their letter of the 19th May as this had been dealt with the previous week. I asked to speak to a member of the Claims Department to ask that they explain their failings and also to request that my claim be fast-tracked to compensate for the further delays in resolving my claim. They refused to speak to me, and so I explained the situation to customer support. The customer support operator agreed with all that I said with reference to the form being filled in correctly and advised that I should call back later the same day to speak to a claims assessor. This I did, and the assessor then told me to expect an offer within 3 to 5 days.

Once again, another failure on the part of Domestic and General as no communication received and I had to telephone on Friday 6th May. It was at this point I was advised of the replacement CRT being authorised. I asked why I had not had this information communicated to me and at the same time registered a further complaint.

On Monday 9th June, another telephone call to progress my latest complaint and I once again explained the situation. The proposed cabinet replacement is not an acceptable coursed of action. I have had this issue troubling me for 12 weeks (going into 13 now) and am sick of the sight of my television due to the distracting crack in the middle of the screen which draws my attention every time I watch a programme. The cabinet took 7 to 8 weeks to obtain/fit. I anticipate similar timeframe for replacement of the CRT, if not longer, which will mean upwards of 20 weeks before this issue is resolved.

This is a completely unacceptable situation. I paid a not insignificant sum of money to have this policy with yourselves, on a television which retailed at £2000, was the Toshiba flagship Picture Frame model and had been my pride and joy. Now, due to the debacle which has ensued this television is a constant depressive which I cannot watch without distraction.

It is intolerable that you would expect me to wait a further prolonged period and I would insist that unless you are able to have the CRT replaced within 14 days of its replacement having been authorised (according to conversation with your staff this was on Wednesday 4th June), then you should cancel the order and replace the television with a suitable alternative set.

I expect a satisfactory resolution in response to this letter by Friday 13th May – either that the CRT will be replaced by the 18th June OR that you offer an acceptable alternative. Should you fail to meet this condition I will seek advice on any further action which can be taken.

Comment

Hi all,
      Has nobody got any ideas about this one - a few viewers but no replies Just need to know if I'm stepping over the line by starting to play hard-ball with them?????

Thanks in advance.
      Bob

Comment

Hi Bob, sorry you've had no responses yet.

Ile have a read though and give you my opinion

PKea
        -------------------------- merged -----------------------------
        Ok first I think we need to trim the letter down and just get across what the problem is and what we want to be done as well as a timescale for them to do it.

Leter writing is not my forte so you will have to bear with me for a day while i edit it, inless someone else wants to suggest alterntives,

Basicaly it should go along the lines of

• The Problem
        • What you want them to do
        • When you want it done by

Have you got the name of the insuarance policy that covers it so we can see if we find a copy to refer to

PKea
        Last edited by Paule; 16th June 2008, 20:12:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Sorry Bob,

I just haven't had the time to have a read and respond.

Will have a read tonight with my cocoa LOL.

Regards Budgie

Comment

LOL Bud - With all your drive and energy you were doing well to dispel the myth you're getting old, shame you've just proven otherwise!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the feedback both of you. Pkea, I have to admit that the letter is a bit shoite, and that is usually my forte (good letters I mean, not shoite ones ) as Budgie may testify (probably not, now I've insulted him). To be honest, I didn't really care as I just want this sorted. The amount of time I've spent on the phone to them waiting for their people to read through my file, discuss with colleagues or transfer me to someone less useful I quite like the idea that they will have to wade through dross to get to the bottom line.

I'm giving them a call tomorrow to find out why they didnt ring on Friday to tell me the lead time for the CRT as promised, perhaps I'll turn the screw a little bit verbally.

Do you know of any consumer rights I can quote, or body that I can threaten to go to in order to pressurise them?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X