• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Mortimer Clarke - letter before court claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mortimer Clarke - letter before court claim

If you still want to raise an SB argument, you should include it in the defence.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
      If you still want to raise an SB argument, you should include it in the defence.
      Sorry for all the questions. I just want to get this right. However, I'm slightly confused! You say the defence is only to what is written in the PoC so that the assignment date shouldn't be included - then I should include it if I want to raise an SB argument?

I don't know whether to go down the SB road as I literally cannot remember anything about this debt and don't want to get it wrong

Comment

Originally posted by helpmeplease123 View Post
        Sorry for all the questions. I just want to get this right. However, I'm slightly confused! You say the defence is only to what is written in the PoC so that the assignment date shouldn't be included - then I should include it if I want to raise an SB argument?
        You can raise other arguments in your defence. (ie see SB below).

I don't know whether to go down the SB road as I literally cannot remember anything about this debt and don't want to get it wrong
        They are claiming that you owe money.
        You would be saying that you don't, because
        1/ it would be SB
        2/3/4/ etc, other arguments.
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

They are claiming that you owe money.
          You would be saying that you don't, because
          1/ it would be SB
          2/3/4/ etc, other arguments.
          It is now submitted. I took out the dates and entered an SB defence too.

Thanks for all your help the last few weeks!

Comment

UPDATE

ive received a letter from the court saying MC have 28 days to reply then the claim will be stayed. What does that mean? Is it easy enough for them to reopen after 28 days? Thanks.

Comment

UPDATE

ive received a letter from the court saying MC have 28 days to reply then the claim will be stayed. What does that mean? Is it easy enough for them to reopen after 28 days? Thanks.
              Good morning.

It means if the claimant does not answer your defence the court will suspend the claim and the claimant will have to pay a fee to lift the stay (suspension).

You will not be informed if this happens so you will have to check with the court on the status of the claim once the time to respond runs out.

nem

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
                Good morning.

It means if the claimant does not answer your defence the court will suspend the claim and the claimant will have to pay a fee to lift the stay (suspension).

You will not be informed if this happens so you will have to check with the court on the status of the claim once the time to respond runs out.

nem
                Morning nem!

thank you. Do they have a time scale to lift it or can that be any time?

Comment

Morning nem!

thank you. Do they have a time scale to lift it or can that be any time?
                  28 days from the date they receive the defence + 5 days for service.

Unfortunately a " stay " is open ended some claims have been stayed for years. If a claim remains stayed for a prolonged period you could ask the claimant to discontinue or make an application for the claim to be struck out.

nnem

Comment

I have received this letter from the solicitors. I take it this is why they have rushed it through as it was nearing to becomin SB? Do I just wait for them to find the agreement I've requested?
                    Attached Files

Comment

If it were me, I'd just file the letter for future reference.

You have submitted a defence based in part on the Claimant's failure to comply with your CCA request.
                      They have been instructed by the court to reply to your defence within 28 days.
                      I would phone the court shortly after that deadline to check on the status of the claim.
                      CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                      Phelps, C. C.

Comment

If it were me, I'd just file the letter for future reference.

You have submitted a defence based in part on the Claimant's failure to comply with your CCA request.
                        They have been instructed by the court to reply to your defence within 28 days.
                        I would phone the court shortly after that deadline to check on the status of the claim.
                        Thanks I was thinking I was best just leaving it for now. The 28 days is up in just over a week so I will give them a call then. Thank you!

Comment

28 days + 5 days to allow records be updated

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE770 View Post
                            28 days + 5 days to allow records be updated
                            Ahh ok, nearly two weeks then

Comment

I have received this letter from the solicitors. I take it this is why they have rushed it through as it was nearing to becomin SB? Do I just wait for them to find the agreement I've requested?
                              Good morning,
                              I suspect you are correct!

That's a very old template letter.

Do not rely on any " on hold " statements from MC or it's " client ".

nem

- - - Updated - - -

Good morning,
                              I suspect you are correct!

That's a very old template letter.

Do not rely on any " on hold " statements from MC or it's " client ".

nem

Comment

Just an update - I have spoken to the court and they have not heard from the solicitors so it is now stayed.

Is is there any best course of action to take?

Thanks

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X