• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Mum and Dad v's Scot Gas and Wescot!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mum and Dad v's Scot Gas and Wescot!

This is a bit of a long one.

Friends of my parents moved to Zimbabwe and rented their house through a letting agent. They set up a redirection for all their mail to my parents address and that was all fine. Recently a demand letter was received from Scotish Gas which my parents took up to the letting agent and also informed the house owner as no bill had been received.

Letter have gone back and forth and now the gas company have handed the account over to Westcot who seem to think the debt is my parents. They just the other day received a letter (I haven't seen it as they sent it to the letting agent) demanding payment from them (my parents) or the Sherrif Officers would be intouch. My parents have never been in this situation before (unlike me ) and it is very distressing for them (they are 74 and 81). I have drafted the letter below to send to Wescot and would appreciate your thoughts.

Oh the debt being chased.....£43.00!!!!

Dear Sir,

Account No. XXXXXXXXX S. Gas pertaining to {address}

You wrote to me on the {date} demanding payment of {amount} to settle account no {account number}. This account is not, nor has it ever been in anyway associated with me or this address. Furthermore I would like it noted that this alleged debt does not belong to us.

Please accept this letter as notice that no further correspondence relating to this matter should be sent to this address but should now be sent direct to Carol White who is the letting agent that deals with both this property and all bills relating to this address. To further clarify this we are friends of the family who are renting this property while they are in Swaziland and have agreed to have mail forwarded to our address.
    My son has, today, spoken informally with both Trading Standards and The Credit Services Association and has been advised that as a member of the latter you are obliged to follow the rules set out by them. If you continue to pursue this account through ourselves then we will be left with no alternative to register a formal complaint with both organisations.

I would ask that you respond to this letter within 10 working days which is, I feel, a reasonable request given the circumstances. I would like it confirmed in writing that you have amended your records to show that we are in no way associated with this account.

Yours

Woolfie Mum and Dad

I would be most grateful for your thoughts

Woolfie

Re: Mum and Dad v's Scot Gas and Wescot!

Looks good, but for the word "anyway" which should be two words, "any way" when used in this context.

Comment

Looks a bit confusing to me, too many "this address" es. I can't tell which one is which. Try this

Account No. XXXXXXXXX S. Gas pertaining to {address}

You wrote to me on the {date} demanding payment of {amount} to settle account no {account number}. This account is not, nor has it ever been in any way associated with myself or my address. Furthermore I would like it noted that this alleged debt does not belong to us.

Please accept this letter as notice that no further correspondence relating to this matter should be sent to my address but should now be sent direct to Carol White who is the letting agent that deals with the property at xxxxx(address) which is where the account number xxxx and debt of £xx relates to.
      To further clarify this we are friends of the owners of the property at xxxxx address and had agreed that mail could be forwarded to our address while the owners are away in Swaziland.
      My son has, today, spoken informally with both Trading Standards and The Credit Services Association and has been advised that as a member of the latter you are obliged to follow the rules set out by them. If you continue to pursue this account through ourselves then we will be left with no alternative to register a formal complaint with both organisations.

I would ask that you respond to this letter within 10 working days which is, I feel, a reasonable request given the circumstances. I would like it confirmed in writing that you have amended your records to show that we are in no way associated with this account.

Not sure if thats any better.....

You could also throw in something along the lines of

Please note, my name is xxxxx, I live at xxxxxxx. I am not, nor ever have been, a tenant at XXXXXX (address). Neither do I have an account with scottish power. (obviously don't put this bit in if you do have an account with them lol)

Last edited by WendyB; 10th June 2008, 08:40:AM. Reason: added a bit more in.
      Is no longer here

Comment

Originally posted by WendyB View Post
        You wrote to me on the {date} demanding payment of {amount} to settle account no {account number}. This account is not, nor has it ever been in any way associated with myself or my address. Furthermore I would like it noted that this alleged debt does not belong to us.
        It should say "......associated with me ........" and not "myself".

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X