• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

MET Parking Charge Notice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MET Parking Charge Notice

Dear Legalbeagles Team and Users,

It is great to see such a great community on the web and I was hoping for some advice on a recent PCN from MET.

I have stayed unintentionally at a retails park 15 minutes over the maximum allowed stay of 2 hours. The reason for this is because I thought the time of stay is considered after I park and leave the car, not knowing that the timing starts as soon as I enter the parking. In detail, I entered the parking straight into McDrive with a queue where it took about 10-15 minutes to collect my order. After that I parked the car (about 15 minutes after entering the parking) and wend to Costa, while noticing what the time was as the beginning of the 2 hours. I explained this situation to MET parking, but they seem not to care about my misinterpretation, given it is not explicitly specified on their signs what "maximum stay of 2 hours" means and that I was customer to both, McDonalds and Costa (I have copies of receipts), or considering a grace time given the queue at McDrive.

I was hoping you may have some insights and whether it would be worthwhile to write to POPLA.

Thank you in advance for your help. All is much appreciated.

Warmest Regards,
    Last edited by kama4o; 24th November 2016, 00:12:AM.
    Tags: None

Re: MET Parking Charge Notice

Popla is winnable but not for those reasons.

Have you spoken to the management of McD and Costa ? Or the retail park owners ?

What do the signs actually say, would appear to be a relevant question ?

M1

Comment

Thank you for your quick response and consideration.

I have spoken to Costa, the manager suggested to contact their central office, who may consider recovering the cost (once I pay the PCN).

For more details about the sign and T&C, please refer ot the attached image.
      Attached Files

Comment

Well i wouldn't pay and hope to get back. Try the HO and the others and social media too, if required. If not let me know if you need popla and also post the PCn (sanitised).

M1

Comment

Dear Mystery1,

Thank you for your suggestions. I would be very grateful if you could please help with a response to POPLA. You can see in the attached letter (response to my appeal) that according to the MET agent the time constraint relates to how long the vehicle remains in the car park. However, while the ambiguous meaning of "2 hours maximum stay" may refer to this, it may also mean total time of parking, especially for a non-native speaker (as is my case). The latter is common practice when purchasing ticket and it is what I genuinely believed refers to this situation. Therefore, in my opinion this should be clarified in their T&C on their signs and if it had been this would have been avoided. It is really frustrating to pay £100 for no wrong doing.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Many best wishes,
          Kamen
          Attached Files

Comment

Do you have the ticket ?

M1

Comment

Lord Denning's comments about the start of a contract in Thornton v Shoe Lane perhaps.

Comment

Lord Denning's comments about the start of a contract in Thornton v Shoe Lane perhaps.

Having then read that this is a free car park then not totally suitable but there can be no contract until you've had a chance to stop and read signs.

Comment

sorry for the late response.

Ostell, many thanks for suggestion - I will look into the details this evening. However, if the PCN (attached) provides more clues in favour of my case, I would be great if you share your thoughts.

Many thanks,
                  Attached Files

Comment

Edit to suit.

kama4opopla.rtf

Upload to popla as per http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co...a-process.html

M1

Comment

Dear Mystery1,

That's impressive!!!

Many thanks for your time and effort. I will let you know about the outcome.

Many best wishes,
                      Kamen

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X