• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

HELP, I have received a court claim from Restons Solicitors and unsure what to do.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HELP, I have received a court claim from Restons Solicitors and unsure what to do

Originally posted by holmewood114 View Post
    Hi
    I sent it recorded delivery as i did with a copy to Restons.
    I have just checked the tracking and they have signed for it.
    I am printing some templates of the defence now and filing it this afternoon.

Kind Regards Chris
    Hi Chris

If it were me I'd wait a few more days before filing the defence, particularly if using MCOL or email.
    If something does turn up in the way of a reply to your requests, it would be better to deal with any issues as part of your particulars of defence.
    If you are using land mail, Xmas postal delays could be a factor, but as long as you have proof of posting & check for receipt if using tracked post, you should be covered.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Re: HELP, I have received a court claim from Restons Solicitors and unsure what to do

Good afternoon all,
      Just to keep you informed, i filled in my defence on the 13th Dec.
      Heard nothing from Restons or Arrow until today, Restons have written stating they acknowledge my correspondence and have written to Arrow for further instruction.
      Is this normal ? It says to me that Restons have no documents in their possession.
      What will happen now with the court side of things ? my claim form was sent on the 17th Nov.

Comment

Good afternoon all,
        Just to keep you informed, i filled in my defence on the 13th Dec.
        Heard nothing from Restons or Arrow until today, Restons have written stating they acknowledge my correspondence and have written to Arrow for further instruction.
        Is this normal ? It says to me that Restons have no documents in their possession.
        What will happen now with the court side of things ? my claim form was sent on the 17th Nov.
        Yep usual for Restons, just proves once again they had Nothing to back up the claim.

nem

Comment

Good Afternoon all,
          Another quick update (i hope you all don't mind me keep writing).
          I have had a letter from the Court stating they have received my Defence and they have written to Arrow requesting the documents in the Defence.
          At this moment i am even questioning myself whether this is actually a debt of mine.
          On my Credit Report, both on Experian and Noddle, there is no mention of this Debt at all. No default, no missed payments.
          Surely this cannot be right, If it was my debt, MNBA cannot have followed the correct procedure.
          What are your feelings about this ?

Comment

Hi Chris

More waiting for you, I guess.
            While they are non-compliant with your CCA request, they cannot enforce their claim.
            It is usually a good idea to send a SAR to the original creditor (MBNA). You'll receive all your personal data held by them, & can use it to make a comparison with any documentation sent by the Claimant/their solicitors.
            It is not mandatory for the original creditor or the new 'owner' to report to a Credit Reference Agency, so don't read too much into that.
            If they do not respond to your defence within the court timeframe, the case will probably be stayed. If that does occur, the Defendant is not usually informed; you will need to check this with the court yourself.
            CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Many thanks
              I will send the SAR request.
              Regards Chris

Comment

Be careful using any info obtained via the SAR.

Produce copies of original documentation to refute suspect documents via the Claimant & you may well be shooting yourself in the foot.
                CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Good afternoon,
                  Well the story so far ...... and its taken a strange twist.
                  I filed my defence with the court.
                  I received back from Restons that they acknowledge my defence and they would be in touch with their client and get back to me.
                  The court has written to me stating they have requested the documents from Arrow and have given them 28 days to comply. If they do not then the claim will have a stay put on it and can only be over turned by a judge.
                  All well and good so far.
                  Today i have received a letter from Arrow . It says we do not accept that we are the creditor. however they will assist me in the request for documentation pursuant to the consumer credit act 1974.
                  Am i going a little daft ? Has Restons not just taken me to court on Arrows behalf ?

Does this not seem a little strange ?

Thanks chris

Comment

CCA 1974 s189

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1974/39/section/189

creditor ” means the person providing credit under a consumer credit agreement or the person to whom his rights and duties under the agreement have passed by assignment or operation of law, and in relation to a prospective consumer credit agreement, includes the prospective creditor;

Not a very 'straight Arrow', are they?!
                    CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                    Phelps, C. C.

Comment

No its all sending me crackers !
                      Surely if Arrow have taken me to court and used Restons as their Solicitor but then Arrow are saying they are not the creditor then how can they take me to court ?
                      They will not be able to provide the requested documents to the court.
                      Will they ?

chris.

Comment

If they do not respond to the recent court instruction (28 days to reply to your defence) the claim will probably be stayed.
                        You are not given notification of this, so phone the court when the timeframe has lapsed to check on the claim's status. (Absent any response by Claimant).
                        CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Good afternoon,
                          Well the story so far ...... and its taken a strange twist.
                          I filed my defence with the court.
                          I received back from Restons that they acknowledge my defence and they would be in touch with their client and get back to me.
                          The court has written to me stating they have requested the documents from Arrow and have given them 28 days to comply. If they do not then the claim will have a stay put on it and can only be over turned by a judge.
                          All well and good so far.
                          Today i have received a letter from Arrow . It says we do not accept that we are the creditor. however they will assist me in the request for documentation pursuant to the consumer credit act 1974.
                          Am i going a little daft ? Has Restons not just taken me to court on Arrows behalf ?

Does this not seem a little strange ?

Thanks chris
                          It's Arrow Global's very old stock template used when they have nothing to back up a claim, whatever they say in this case is wrong they have bought the debt and are now the creditor and data controller in regard to the debt.

It does not mean the court processes stop!

nem

Comment

Many thanks.
                            All i can do is wait. There is only a week left before the 28 response deadline for the court is up.
                            I am sure i havent heard the last of it.
                            I will keep you informed and very grateful for all of your assistance. I have never dealt with anything like this before.
                            Chris.

Comment

[QUOTE=holmewood114;699418]Many thanks.
                              All i can do is wait. There is only a week left before the 28 response deadline for the court is up.
                              I am sure i havent heard the last of it.
                              I will keep you informed and very grateful for all of your assistance. I have never dealt with anything like this before.
                              Chris.[/QUOTE

Hello Chris,
                              Yes please get back to us with any up dates.

Please be aware that if the claimant does not respond to the defence the court will stay (suspend the claim) and the claimant must pay a fee to lift the stay.
                              You are not informed if this happens so it will be necessary for you to check with the court on the status of the claim.

nem

Comment

Good afternoon everyone.
                                Just a quick update again.
                                I rang the court today and a stay was put on my claim on the 16th Jan.
                                This can only be good news cant it ?
                                Thanks chris

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X