• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

HELP, I have received a court claim from Restons Solicitors and unsure what to do.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP, I have received a court claim from Restons Solicitors and unsure what to do.

I have received a county court claim form from Restons solicitors on behalf of Arrow Global Accounts.
    I have gone online and filled in acknowledgement of service and also filled out a form to request my cca.
    This was a credit card from mbna from 1998 and assigned to arrow in 2006.
    I do not have any original paperwork and cannot say what i owe. When Restons first started writing to me in june i filed a statuted barred notice. As i was not aware of this debt.
    But they informed me i had been sending token payments to one of their sister companies Mackenzie hall.
    I checked my bank and yes i had.
    ok, In the particulars of the claim it says :

The claimant claims payment of the overdue balance due from the Defendant under a contract between the defendant and MBNA.
    Dated on or abouts march 9 1998 and assigned to the claimant on oct 6 2006
    Particulars acc no. xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

11-12-2015 default balance 5626.66
    14-11-2016 post refrl cr -40.00

Total 5586.66

What can i do next, what do i ask for in my cpr request ?

Although i have had lots of debts to deal with from my former marriage, this is the only one to issue a claim form. I have successfully negotiated with all the rest.
    Tags: None

Re: HELP, I have received a court claim from Restons Solicitors and unsure what to do

Ok, so the statute barred defence is out of the window, so perhaps need to look at CCA enforceability.

Have you ever sent a CCA request to Arrow Global for a true copy of your original 1998 MBNA card.

In your CPR request to Restons, you can request a copy of the 'contract' they mention and that will effectively be the 1998 contract. They need to find it to enforce this debt once you've made the correct CCA request.
    "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Re: HELP, I have received a court claim from Restons Solicitors and unsure what to do

Thanks for replying Celestine.
      I have sent the CCA request to Arrow and recorded delivery.
      As of yet i have not sent anything to Restons as i was unsure what to ask for. Now i know so i will send that off today and also include a copy of the CCA request.
      I really appreciate you helping me, With never having one of these before it seems that without groups like yours, the normal individual would not stand a chance against these people.
      I had been trying to deal with Restons but they started to ignore my correspondence.
      If its alright with you i will let you know when i hear anything back from either of them.
      Kindest Regards Chris

Comment

Hi,

For clarity, did you file a SB defence at court?
        When was the court claim issue date? (On claim form)
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Hi
          I have so far acknowledged the claim thus hopefully giving me 28 days.
          i checked the box of my intention to defend.
          i have sent recorded delivery the cca to arrow and nothing yet to restons.
          The date on the claim form is 17th nov 16.
          Please bear with me as i do not know what the SB defence is you are asking about ?
          This was an MBNA card taken out in 1998, as far as i can remember in 2002 ish i got made redundant and fell behind on the payments.
          I think from what i have read on here by you lovely people, my main defence is if they cannot produce the documents required ? is this true ?
          Thanks chris

Comment

Originally posted by holmewood114 View Post
            Hi
            I have so far acknowledged the claim thus hopefully giving me 28 days.
            i have sent recorded delivery the cca to arrow and nothing yet to restons.
            The date on the claim form is 17th nov 16.
            Please bear with me as i do not know what the SB defence is you are asking about ?
            This was an MBNA card taken out in 1998, as far as i can remember in 2002 ish i got made redundant and fell behind on the payments.
            I think from what i have read on here by you lovely people, my main defence is if they cannot produce the documents required ? is this true ?
            Thanks chris
            Hello Chris,

You should send Restons a request under the provisions of Civil Procedure Rule 31.14 for the documents specifically mentioned in the particulars of claim (no fee) Don't be tempted to add anything else if a document is not mentioned in the POC don't ask for it.

Statute barred (England & Wales 6 years with no payments or written acknowledgment of the debt, the start of the relevant 6 year period varies with the type of account.

nem

Comment

Hello Nem,
              I have today sent the cpr31.14 to Restons recorded delivery and included a copy of the CCA request which i sent to Arrow recorded delivery.
              Wait and see time now !
              Is there anything i should be doing in the meantime ?
              What do you expect them to come back at me with ? as this is such an old debt ??

Thanks Chris

Comment

This
                Probably answers this
                As long as you have just ticked the 'intent to defend' box, but didn't actually state that you intend to plead a statute-barred defence (at the acknowledgement stage).
                CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Morning guys,
                  So i asked arrow for cca and had no response, i also sent a copy to restons and asked restons for cpr 31.14 and also had no response and today was the deadline for a reply.
                  What is my next step ? fill out the defence form ??

Thanks chris

Comment

Morning guys,
                    So i asked arrow for cca and had no response, i also sent a copy to restons and asked restons for cpr 31.14 and also had no response and today was the deadline for a reply.
                    What is my next step ? fill out the defence form ??

Thanks chris
                    Hi, start compiling your defence there's templates in the green box also take a look at other defence posted it will give you a good idea of content and format.

nem

Comment

great stuff, i will get it done later today.
                      thanks nem.

Comment

i asked arrow for cca and had no response, i also sent a copy to restons and asked restons for cpr 31.14 and also had no response and today was the deadline for a reply.
                        What is my next step ? fill out the defence form ?
                        You have 33 days from the Issue Date on the claim form to file your Defence. Your claim was issued on 17th November wasn't it?

It can only be a good thing that Arrow has not complied with your s 77-79 CCA Request. People tend to fret when they've not received documents by the time their Defence is due to be filed, but in reality non-compliance with your request IS your Defence.

When did you last make a payment to McKenzie Hall?

Di

Comment

Good afternoon di
                          I last paid Mackenzie Hall in June of this year.
                          To be honest I have been paying them for years, but if you asked me who they were and what it was for i couldn't tell you.
                          I got made redundant in 2002 that is when I got in trouble and buried my head in the sand.
                          I now want rid of these people and so far I have done quite well with negotiating with the likes of Cabot and Lowell.
                          Restons would not negotiate at all.
                          From my research of them, they want to put a charging order on my property to secure the debt. I do not own a property any more.
                          When I send in the defence di, in your experience, what will happen then ?

Kind regards Chris

Comment

Hi Chris

How did you send the CCA request to Arrow?
                            If 'tracked', have you confirmed delivery/receipt? (Arrow have a nasty habit of not accepting or signing for them).
                            If by ordinary post, did you get proof of posting?

Btw, it's difficult to try & predict what will happen at any stage, really.
                            It's best to take each step at a time.
                            CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Hi
                              I sent it recorded delivery as i did with a copy to Restons.
                              I have just checked the tracking and they have signed for it.
                              I am printing some templates of the defence now and filing it this afternoon.

Kind Regards Chris

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X