• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Voluntary Termination

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voluntary Termination

Hi All, I posted this earlier within the motoring section of forum but not sure if this was the correct area, appreciate any help that comes my way all

Newbie here looking for some assistance, I have been in contact with my finance Startline Motor Finance in relation to VT for my HP.

I have been giving a figure of £920 to meet the 50% to enable me to carry out the VT which I would like to do.

I have read into the section of VT (which is extremely helpful) on this forum but I have a few questions which I cannot find the answers to.

The finance company keep referring to section 11 - Your right to end the agreement early, they are advising me I am liable for retaking possession of the vehicle and that I must pay them the cost of repairs required to put the vehicle in good condition (car is excellent condition).

Read through the VT form I can see both of the above are not legally required but not sure how it will work if it is within my contract ? Also when I hit the 50% for payments can I automatically cancel my direct debit for the finance payments ?

I really appreciate your help and thanks for any advice that follows,

Paul
    Tags: None

Re: Voluntary Termination

Hi Paul,

Your liability is clear and it's 50% anything in your contract which imposes further costs is unenforceable. Once youhave given notice to terminate you can cancel your DD but I would usually do this a few days from when you sent your notice, either by email or if by post keep proof of postage.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hi R0b,

Thank you very much for your reply, your advice is much appreciated.

Can I just check that I have picked this up correctly though, in relation to their contract which I touched on above they are not correct and I don't need to pay them to remove nor am I legally required to fit the bill for any works they deem necessary for the car ?

Thanks once again,

Paul

Comment

When they say re-taking possession that usually implies that they have terminated the contract and you are liable for the remaining balance. But if you VT they cannot do this.

You are liable for any damage which is beyond a reasonable condition, though it is up to the lender to prove the damage happened whilst in your possession. Lenders do not carry out initial inspections so it is very difficult to prove that the damage occurred in your control. Below is a quote from a Court of Appeal case, Brady v St Margaret's Trust concerning damage and evidence required for HP agreements:

"There should be evidence by the hire-purchase company to show the condition of the goods at the time the agreement was made and to show how far the hirer has defaulted under it. As I read this clause, the hirer's duty is to keep the car in the condition in which it might reasonably be expected to be if he had looked after it properly. He need not put it in a better condition than it was when he hired it. He need only keep it in the condition in which a reasonably minded hirer would keep it."

Lenders don't like this and use all sorts of tactics for people to pay up such as applying defaults on credit file
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

R0b your a gentleman, I will continue with the VT process following your excellent advice I will try keep my post updated to enable the outcome to be seen.

Thanks for your help mate.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X