• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

PCN issued, appealed but now PE want a discounted payment as gesture of 'goodwill'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCN issued, appealed but now PE want a discounted payment as gesture of 'goodwill'

We parked at Holy Trinity Car park in Newquay during holiday in October half term, however hubby entered my registration incorrectly and transposed some characters (they were all there just in wrong order!). Well within time limit but no surprise we received a PCN.
    I sent Parking Eye a letter explaining the error and enclosing the original parking ticket as evidence of purchase (I've kept a copy).
    I have now received a letter from them recognising that an incorrect vehicle registration was input but with a line stating "As a gesture of goodwill we would like to offer you the opportunity to make a discounted payment of £20"
    The letter then goes on to say that they must also warn that if this balance is not paid in 14 days then the charge will increase to the original value , the appeal may well be rejected and a POPLA code provided.

I feel like I'm being threatened into paying when we have done nothing wrong!

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Should I reject and go for an appeal as I have proof that we paid or is the £20 an easy option and I should just swallow my pride?
    Tags: None

Re: PCN issued, appealed but now PE want a discounted payment as gesture of 'goodwill

Can you post the appeal and PCN suitably sanitised ?

M1

Comment

Re: PCN issued, appealed but now PE want a discounted payment as gesture of 'goodwill

Many thanks M1. Please see attached.

Comment

scan0011.pdf

Comment

An interesting conundrum this one.

On one hand you can pay £20 but on the other a popla appeal risk £100 and relies on PE either giving in, which the have often enough lately, not producing evidence of a right to operate which they sometimes fail on or you have the Equality act. It should be easy enough for PE to win this one at popla but that hasn't stopped people winning before.

I rather suspect Popla won't acknowledge the Equality act but think a court may side with you.

If you wish me to do a popla appeal you can use, let me know.

M1

Comment

Many Thanks M1.

The indignant side of me really wants to fight this just because these people are such a**es, however on balance, the cost of both your and my time versus the £20 'make it go away' fee probably makes this one a no brainer.

I'm spitting bricks about the injustice, but I think I'll bury my pride and telephone the payment through on day 14.

In the meantime I have sent an email to the Holy Trinity Church email address asking if they are in a position to do anything, although I suspect it will either not be read or indeed never replied to. I expect they probably get quite a few!

Comment

I've just had a friend contact me about a similar happening. She entered the wrong numbers, mentioned it to staff on site who said it would be fine. but then got a PCN with the full charge. On a simple appeal she got an offer of £20 to make it go away. She paid. Looks like this may be a PE standard action as they think they may lose in court.
              She wanted me to write a letter of complaint to PE. I did say it wasn't worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
                I've just had a friend contact me about a similar happening. She entered the wrong numbers, mentioned it to staff on site who said it would be fine. but then got a PCN with the full charge. On a simple appeal she got an offer of £20 to make it go away. She paid. Looks like this may be a PE standard action as they think they may lose in court.
                She wanted me to write a letter of complaint to PE. I did say it wasn't worth it.

It's at least the 2nd time i've seen it too. Whilst paying £20 sticks in the craw, especially when EA 2010 is in play, the risk v reward makes paying very viable.

M1

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X