• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Am I entitled to redundancy payment if I takeover business from self employed person?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I entitled to redundancy payment if I takeover business from self employed person?

I am employed in a small retail shop which is owned and operated by a self-employed person. That person closes down their business. I start running the same business immediately after closure in the same shop premises by leasing the premises from the landlord of the premises. In this situation am I entitled to receive a redundancy payment from my employer?
    Tags: None

Re: Am I entitled to redundancy payment if I takeover business from self employed per

What does you contract of employment say. How long did you work for them?

Comment

Re: Am I entitled to redundancy payment if I takeover business from self employed per

Originally posted by paulajayne View Post
      What does you contract of employment say. How long did you work for them?
      I do not have a written contract of employment. I have worked with the employer (who is self employed owner of the shop business) for 17 year and about 3 years for the previous owner who transferred business to this owner, so I would say worked in this employment 20 years.

Comment

Did you purchase the business from your employer?

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
          Did you purchase the business from your employer?
          My employer (who is currently self employed) will stop running their business. I will then continue running exact same type of business in the same premises but I will not be paying my employer anything (e.g. goodwill) for the business but I will purchase some existing business stock from my employer. The business is a newsagents and off-licence.

Comment

Interesting question you have posed.
            IMO however the answer is probably in the negative. You haven't been made redundant, but tuped over, and taken "promotion".
            Look forward to seeing what our employment peeps say aboutit.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
              Interesting question you have posed.
              IMO however the answer is probably in the negative. You haven't been made redundant, but tuped over, and taken "promotion".
              Look forward to seeing what our employment peeps say aboutit.
              Thank you. I will wait for some other replies.

Comment

As this is quite complicated, I would suggest you call the acas helpline. I wouldn't agree that this would be classed as tuped over as you will no longer be an employee but a sole trader (unless you're setting up a company and are going to be an employee of that company).

Comment

Thank you to those who replied.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                  See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                  X