• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

PRA Group has taken me to court

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRA Group has taken me to court

Hi Everyone,
    I'm still trying to find my way around the site so apologies...
    Thanks to [MENTION=61310]diana[/MENTION]M for your advice.
    SO....
    Here I am PRA Group V's Me in County Court

Long story short I took my MBNA card out for my brother, as we were approached by some sales guy in Halfords as he had no credit/ money and needed money to start his new business venture and agreed to handle this account as his own and look after it accordingly
    (HE DID NON OF THIS) Since over the years from the default in 2009 I have tried myself to make payments but had to end these due to my own financial reasons. He since has borrowed money for his ventures and still never paid anything back,then decided not to attend my Daughter's Christening as a Godparent and I've not heard anything from him for years now...
    Last year this default came of my credit file and I thought I could sort my life around as to a new mortgage for a family home and now this has happened.

If I may make my other posts and attachments in date order I hope this may make things clearer to follow as to where I am now.

It went to Default then to Aktiv Kapital then to EXPERTO CREDITE then to PRA GROUP.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice this is a life changer as my partner has bad credit left by a bad divorce so our new home was going be down to me.
    Tags: None

Re: PRA Group has taken me to court

I heard from the PRA Group saying that they were going to start making investigations of my financial circumstances and searced my credit file?
    This is a copy of the letter they sent me.

A couple of questions on this letter.
    1 Are they allowed to search my credit file
    2 They say I took a credit card out withy MBNA (on or around) the date on the letter shouldn't they have the exact date?
    Last edited by Littlepig; 26th November 2016, 10:38:AM.

Comment

After this I sent a SAR to MBNA and they sent me some documents but say they haven't sent some as they do not hold them?
      ie: Notice of default has not been retained

This is the letter they sent.
      Last edited by Littlepig; 26th November 2016, 10:39:AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Littlepig View Post
        I'm still trying to find my way around the site so apologies...
        Thanks to @dianaM for your advice.
        SO....
        Here I am PRA Group V's Me in County Court

. . . . . It went to Default then to Aktiv Kapital then to EXPERTO CREDITE then to PRA GROUP
        Don't stress. Everything is fixable

First of all what year was this MBNA account opened? It's useful to know it was opened in a Halford's store.

Unless I'm wrong this debt was probably sold to Varde (collected by Experto Credite) before it was sold to Aktiv Kapitol then assigned to PRA (not the other way round). Believe it or not this assignment route (via Varde) may help you. What year did they get involved?

Post up the POC so everything becomes clearer. Also confirm what stage these proceedings have reached.

Di

Comment

They sent me one two sided A4 copy of my CCA
          Last edited by Littlepig; 26th November 2016, 10:40:AM.

Comment

I received a claim from Northampton County court December 2015 from the PRA Group I responded to this saying that I was intending to defend this and the court had no jurisdiction as this account is statute barred.
            I never heard anything again
            Last edited by Littlepig; 26th November 2016, 10:40:AM.

Comment

I heard from the PRA Group saying that they were going to start making investigations of my financial circumstances and searced my credit file?
              This is a copy of the letter they sent me.

A couple of questions on this letter.
              1 Are they allowed to search my credit file
              2 They say I took a credit card out withy MBNA (on or around) the date on the letter shouldn't they have the exact date?
              I've seen that same letter (with different personal details and information) many times. They were sent out in October 2015 and were often followed by a Default Notice issued by PRA.

You've only uploaded the first page but was that letter signed by a person with the initials SG (please don't post the whole name)?

The letter says you entered into a credit agreement with Varde on 8th May 2008. No you didn't. You say you opened an account with MBNA. Or have I misunderstood.

Yes they can search your credit file. They do it for two reasons. Firstly to confirm where you live (Electoral Roll and other credit registered on your file) so that they don't issue proceedings to an incorrect address, and secondly to see what you're 'worth' i.e. if you are a homeowner. A mortgage account registered on your CRA file gives them a clue, and Equifax list Land Registry details of property owned.

Di

Comment

In September this year I received a second notice from the same court but with a different claim number but for the same account from the PRA Group, again I responded to this in the same way as the first and sent it back stating I was intending to defend, all this was done online through the money claim online website

- - - Updated - - -

The next was the default judgment saying that it had been awarded to the PRA Group as I did not respond ?
                Last edited by Littlepig; 26th November 2016, 10:41:AM.

Comment

I sent a SAR to MBNA and they sent me some documents but say they haven't sent some as they do not hold them?
                  ie: Notice of default has not been retained
                  Did the SAR documents sent include the Transaction Log and the Phone Log?

The Transaction Log will record when (if) a DN was sent and when the account was terminated and when it was assigned to Varde/Experto Credite. This information can be used to cross-check any reconstituted document produced by the Claimant.

Di

Comment

I telephoned the court and stated I did respond and submitted my reasons for defence and I have not heard anything since?
                    The court guy was very helpful and advised I could ask for this to be set aside and to state my reasons but I would have to pay.
                    I also asked what had happened to the first claim back in December 2015 and he told me it was (Stayed) as PRA never responded and said it was very odd, as all they had to do was to apply and pay for the Stay lifted and proceed on that claim number instead of a new claim.
                    I responded with the reasons for application for this to be set aside as follows.

I would like to ask the court for this judgement to be setaside for the following reasons.
                    It states on the claim form dated the XXth ofOctober 2016 that the defendant did not reply to the claim form.
                    I responded to the claim form on line on the XXthof September XXth of September 2016 it was then acknowledged thefollowing day the XXst.
                    I stated that I would wish to..
                    Intention
                    I intend to defend all of this claim
                    I intend to contest jurisdiction

The reasons for this are that this claim comes under the limitations act of 1980 and therefore statute barred andis not pursuable through court.

I wrote to the PRA advising them of myintentions and asked them to disclose any documents they have under (the rightto access) and also advise me if there would be any charge for this as I intendto defend this in court.

I have never heard from the PRA Groupsince

I also never heard from the court sincemy service was acknowledged on the XXst

- - - Updated - - -

I now have received a letter back from the court stating that this is now to be transferred to my local court
                    Last edited by Littlepig; 26th November 2016, 10:42:AM.

Comment

So that's where I am at the moment...
                      Thanks again in advance for any help, guidance or advice you can offer me as to my next steps.

Comment

So that's where I am at the moment...
                        Thanks again in advance for any help, guidance or advice you can offer me as to my next steps.
                        You've done a great job so far

The current situation is your application for a set aside has been transferred to your local county court who will write to you with a Hearing Date (or did you ask for the application to be dealt with on paper without a hearing?) and Directions.

You've presumably given the court the following reasons for your set aside application (a) procedural errors by the Claimant (who issued a second claim while the first claim was stayed) and (b) the debt is SB as your potential Defence if the CCJ were to be set aside.

On the issue of SB the debt would have needed to have been SB and the DN served 6 years before the claim was issued. The complication may be which claim will be considered for that purpose since apparently there's still a stayed claim issued in 2015.

Di

Comment

Hi DIana,
                          Forgive me if I keep saying thank you but I am so grateful for your help, stress yes, also mentally taxing and tiring.

The first date printed/wrote on the docs from MBNA after my SAR would be the CCA and that's the date of signing XX.XX.XX

Yes your right I forgot about the name Varde being involved in the collections process

Autoscore SM Card Applications Details
                          Date received XX.XX.XX

XX.X.XX
                          Sold to Experto Credite
                          Last edited by Littlepig; 19th November 2016, 14:09:PM.

Comment

The first date printed/wrote on the docs from MBNA after my SAR would be the CCA and that's the date of signing XX.XX.XX

Yes your right I forgot about the name Varde being involved in the collections process

Autoscore SM Card Applications Details
                            Date received XX.XX.XX

XX.XX.XX
                            Sold to Experto Credite
                            I think you should quickly edit your post to remove/delete those dates which may not be known to PRA since you retrieved them from your SAR.

Di

Comment

The signature is R and surname starts with an M Investigations and litigation Dept

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X