• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Single Justice Procedure Notice _ TV Licencing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single Justice Procedure Notice _ TV Licencing

I'm hoping to receive a little help on behalf of a client I am supporting whilst she and her son reside in our homeless accommodation.

She was visited by TV Licencing Enforcement Officer in July and advised to purchase a TV licence. She didn't buy one as she was experiencing difficulties with her work not paying the correct level of sick pay coupled with the fact Concentrix cancelled her Tax Credits claim without writing to her to advise they were after more info. I've sorted the Tax Credits now and she has a new employer so is in a much better position financially.

Today she has received a SJPN with 21 days to respond.

The statement of fact says "on 25th July you admitted to using colour TV receiving equipment to watch or record live TV programmes at the above address for an unspecified period without an appropriate licence, last using it 25th July 2016. Access to the premises to inspect the equipment was refused'.

Now the Enforcement Officer witness statement completely contradicts the statement of fact in that it says the EO tested the TV and observed the equipment as well as testing various channels. My client says he did enter the property and in fact sat on the sofa! So why the statement of fact says he was not permitted entry I do not know. His statement starts by saying the response to the question 'May I come in and inspect the set' was 'not at moment' but then goes on to say he heard no programmes but tested BBC1, C4 and UK Gold. He also says there was a colour TV with digital box on standby with power plugged and aerial plugged in.

My client says he did not test UK Gold as she cannot get this channel. She does not dispute she had equipment in the house but approximately 2 days before the visit, and from when she moved into the property early June 2016, The aerial didn't work for the first few weeks after she moved in so she watched dvd box sets.

She is on a low income as a home carer, working 16 hours a week and single mum to a 7 year old.

Should we plead not guilty based on the conflicting evidence or should she plead guilty and mention the mitigating circumstances which are the conflicting reports on the statement of facts and the EO witness statement?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Tags: None

Re: Single Justice Procedure Notice _ TV Licencing

BUMP...can anyone help with this please?

Comment

Re: Single Justice Procedure Notice _ TV Licencing

Hi Michie,
      Have I got this right? Your client is not denying she had/was watching TV without a licence or is she contesting that she did not watch TV but only DVD's, at the time the visit was made.

I appreciate the discrepancies in the statement by the enforcement officer, but the bottom line is whether your client was watching TV with a valid licence in place? Did your client sign anything when they came to the property? Has she now purchased a licence? Obtaining the licence asap is a good idea, showing willing on your client's behalf to put right the issue, if that is the case. What has their previous history been with regard to holding a TV licence, is this just a one off caused by the financial circumstances they found themselves in or have TV licensing issues arisen in the past?

The SJPN as I'm sure you're aware, allows the issue to be dealt with behind closed doors by a single magistrate, although if needs be a hearing can be arranged. It can be far less stressful to have the matter dealt with in this way, but I do need a little more info from you before providing my thoughts.
      Once I have your response to the further queries I may be able to point you in the right direction.
      I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X