• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

URGENT Scared to death-committed to prison hearing for CT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• URGENT Scared to death-committed to prison hearing for CT

Can any one give me advise please?

I'm a single mum who gotten herself in to a world of trouble. I have a number of depts including council tax going back to 2009. A couple of years ago I received a commital to prison warrant from Jacobs and was bailed pending a hearing. At the time I set up and payment plan directly with the council of £30 per week (the lower that the council would take) and was told by their court officer that I wouldn't have to attend the hearing. At that time I wasn't working due to young children, a divorce and bouts of depression and was living on tax credits and help from family. The council agreed to council tax benifits so I didn't have to pay new council tax but was still liable for the old depts. with not much to live on I was unable to make the payments.

I went back to work in 2014 so my ct benifits stopped but I was still struggling to live and couldn't afford the payments.

I was seriously ill earlier this year and it was a huge wake up call. I started the process of an Iva and any Baliffe action stopped but in the end I decided that to move on with our life and start fresh I would sell my house to pay off all my depts. I have sold the house and we are completing on Friday the only problem is that as I stopped the Iva I was issued with a warrant for arrest with no bail and I'm to attend on Friday (when I should be moving out of my house) The warrant officer came two weeks ago, he didn't arrest me just said that I had to be on court on Friday I explained that I would be able to pay the outstanding amount (£4400) in full once the house sale when through and was told that if that happened I wouldn't have to attend court.

Today I spoke with the council to say I could pay on Friday and that I have details from my solicitor to show this but they've said that even if I do pay on full before then I would still have to go to court...

Does anyone know why? Am I going to be sent to prison? And can my solicitor go on my behalf so I can complete the house sale and pay the dept?

Sorry for the long story

- - - Updated - - -

Oh I need to add that I have paid this years council tax in full

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Tags: None

Re: URGENT Scared to death-committed to prison hearing for CT

Originally posted by Singlemum81 View Post

I went back to work in 2014 so my ct benifits stopped but I was still struggling to live and couldn't afford the payments.

I was seriously ill earlier this year and it was a huge wake up call. I started the process of an Iva and any Baliffe action stopped but in the end I decided that to move on with our life and start fresh I would sell my house to pay off all my depts. I have sold the house and we are completing on Friday the only problem is that as I stopped the Iva I was issued with a warrant for arrest with no bail and I'm to attend on Friday (when I should be moving out of my house)

The warrant officer came two weeks ago, he didn't arrest me just said that I had to be on court on Friday I explained that I would be able to pay the outstanding amount (£4400) in full once the house sale when through and was told that if that happened I wouldn't have to attend court.

Today I spoke with the council to say I could pay on Friday and that I have details from my solicitor to show this but they've said that even if I do pay on full before then I would still have to go to court...

Does anyone know why? Am I going to be sent to prison? And can my solicitor go on my behalf so I can complete the house sale
    I am so sorry to hear that the council are pursuing you for committal.

What would usually be needed is an undertaking from the solicitor managing the house sale that the amount owing will be settled in full from the proceeds of the property. Has this been proposed? If not...it MUST be done today.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X