• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Banked days

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banked days

So I work within retail and have been told by my line manager that the store manager wants all full timers to be roted in for one of their days off during Christmas week. Is this legal? I always assumed banking days was voluntary. I've searched high and low on the web and even in my colleague handbook...but there in nothing. Help!
    Tags: None

Re: Banked days

I'll ask [MENTION=51026]Ula[/MENTION] to respond.

Comment

There is no statutory right for employees to take bank holidays off work.
      Any right to time off, payment for time off or extra pay for bank holidays worked depends on the terms of the employee's contract of employment.
      Therefore, subject to the terms of the contract, employees can be required to work on bank holidays.
      What is he exact wording of your contract/company handbook about holidays?

Comment

It has nothing specific about banked days (eg work an extra day during xmas week and have that day off in January).

Comment

In that case there would be nothing you can do.
          You get for example 5.6 weeks statutory paid holiday a year, which can include bank holidays, and although you can request that day off, the employer can refuse to allow it and so you would have to use your holiday entitlement at another time.
          If you work the Bank Holiday , unless it states to the contrary in your contract, the employer does not have to allow you time off in lieu

You might find this link helpful: https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/wo...bank-holidays/

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X