• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Driver no longer lives here...am I liable to pay fine?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driver no longer lives here...am I liable to pay fine?

My ex-partner had the misfortune to clock up 2 parking fines in September at the same place on 2 consecutive days, (22nd & 23rd). It was a MET parking at the local McDonalds where he was working from for a couple of hours as our Wifi was down. He didn't see the signs which said the time limit was 90minutes. We parted ways around the same time and he moved out. He says he will deal with them. I've passed the reminder letters, which arrived 2 weeks ago, onto him, but as he is not the most reliable at following up on these type of things, I'm wondering if there is anything that I can do to cover myself as the wording in the letter concerns me 'we have the right to recover any unpaid part of the parking charge from you'. He is the registered keeper, but the car was registered at this address at the time of the fines.....I doubt he's changed it since he's moved out. Any advice on what I could expect to happen if I don't do anything and what I can do would be much appreciated.
    Tags: None

Re: Driver no longer lives here...am I liable to pay fine?

Was his name on the V5 or yours? I believe that keeper liability applies.

Comment

If he's the registered keeper and the letters were in his name then it is his responsibility to handle the problem and no one can come back at you for it.

You could tell him to come on here for advice.

Comment

or you could just tell MET name and address of the driver.

Comment

Ignoring MET is a legitimate tactic for him. If the letters are for him at your address then they cannot chase you. It's up to you whether you give them his correct details or return as not at this address should you not want to collect his post and forward it to him yourself.

M1

Comment

Thanks very much for the advice. He tells me that the McDonalds manager is going to help him out, so fingers crossed they are dropped. Otherwise he knows now about this great forum to come to. Thanks again!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X