• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Telephone harassment……a point to note

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Telephone harassment……a point to note

The recent case of Idem v Ryan makes it clear that the Court will not be sympathetic to a debtor who complains about telephone harassment where the debtor doesn’t take* the appropriate steps to protect their position.   In the Ryan matter, the debtors complained that the Claimant had contacted them unfairly, indeed the records […]

More...
    I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.
    Tags: None

Re: Telephone harassment……a point to note

Hi PT interesting post, was his just a CC decision?

Whilst I quite agree on the Court's reasoning on 1. And 3. I don't think 2. Sits quite right with me. If a person withdraws their consent and expressly states that they will only accept a certain method of communication, the fact that they don't respond to that preferred method of communication doesn't make it right for the third party to use an alternative method unless the person has agreed to do so.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

I can see this being used by creditors as an excuse to restart telephone calls when they haven't complied with a request so for example

You write to a creditor and say send a S78 request which they don't fully deal with, 12 months on they see this judgement and use it as an excuse to start barraging you with phone calls again

Another example, you send in a complaint asking for certain proof of liability and maybe a few other things- they reply to half of the letter but not the rest so you ignore them- 12 months on they start the barrage again

I do take the point that if you ignore them or don't put it in writing they MAY be able to start calling you again although I tend to agree with Rob when he says, if you have said once in writing not to call, that should be enough

Comment

Originally posted by Linus View Post
        I can see this being used by creditors as an excuse to restart telephone calls when they haven't complied with a request so for example

You write to a creditor and say send a S78 request which they don't fully deal with, 12 months on they see this judgement and use it as an excuse to start barraging you with phone calls again

Another example, you send in a complaint asking for certain proof of liability and maybe a few other things- they reply to half of the letter but not the rest so you ignore them- 12 months on they start the barrage again

I do take the point that if you ignore them or don't put it in writing they MAY be able to start calling you again although I tend to agree with Rob when he says, if you have said once in writing not to call, that should be enough
        The point to take from this ruling is to box clever, when you start getting calls you must NOT invite the creditor to call you back period. you must, if you state all correspondence in writing, write.

Personally, the easiest way of getting around this point is to turn to the creditor and tell them simply youre not prepared to talk on the phone and no more calls will be tolerated. Secondly, write to the creditor and tell them your issues with their case.

The creditor should either stop calling and write to you or if it disagrees with your view then it should take you to Court. End of.
        I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

Comment

Was there not a case, perhaps one of yours, where the judge basically said "The debtor has the right to say stop contacting me, take me to court if you want" ?

M1

Comment

Originally posted by mystery1 View Post
            Was there not a case, perhaps one of yours, where the judge basically said "The debtor has the right to say stop contacting me, take me to court if you want" ?

M1
            Plenty, the problem in Ryan was the requests to stop calling were limited and didnt carry much weight with them. Often the requests were qualified with we will call you back or please call us back or were just going out but call later.

This si the point, if the company had been told sod off were not talking on the phone and write to us, we may reply we may not, then that would have resolved the issue and the 200+ calls would have given an unfair relationship.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X