• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

bedroom tax PLEASE HELP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bedroom tax PLEASE HELP

hI all. Please could I have some advice please as I am petrified I am going to lose my home. My daughter moved out last year and as I live in a 2 bedroom property I am now subject to the bedroom tax, spare room thingy. Firstly I would like to say I know how very lucky I am and trust me I am so very grateful. I was very lucky to get a property and I have lived there all of my adult life.

I have been here for 20 years and I only had one child. I say that because in my block of flats other people have moved into the flat, they have had alot more children and then been given a house. Its like the flat was not good enough for them. I know this because I have seen people in and out time and time again over 20 years. I have always been acutely aware of how very blessed I am to have been given a property and a roof over my head.

Anyway, I have been told that I now have to pay £40pw out of my ESA. Some of that I believe is from an overpayment of HB as my daughter moved out last year...I know I cant afford it. I know I am unable to work. I know there are no propertys to downsize too either. I have been considering taking in a lodger but I am worried as I have a personality disorder and clinical depression and sometimes (often) dont function as I should. I just dont know what to do and I am scared out of my wits. Please advice me if possible. thank you.
    Tags: None

Re: bedroom tax PLEASE HELP

Hi and welcome,
    Have you had a letter with a proper breakdown of the £40 per week? If it shows the overpayment have they given a time scale when this will be paid off?
    You can apply to your local council for a Discretionary Housing Payment https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-g...#guide-content If you apply for this and get it, it may help you to manage until the over payment has been paid and the rent rise would be more affordable for you.
    I would also take a benefit check ENTITLEDTO or get in touch with your local welfare office for advise.
    Someone may be along soon to offer different, better advise but in the meantime I wish you all the best with this situation

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X