• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Caught shoplifting in B and Q

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caught shoplifting in B and Q

Hi, yesterday I was caught stealing a drill bit £10.40(I took it out the packaging) from B and Q and was about to leave the store to get a trolley for my other goods which I was going to pay for. The security guard seemed ok with me as I was compliant. I showed him where I took the drill bit from and then he asked if was wanting to still pay for it to which I said yes along with my other goods. He then took me to the checkouts, but before I paid for the goods he took me into his office where I he took my details and made me sign a 1 month ban notice and he gave me info on Civil Recovery which agreed to as I was in the wrong. Again he seemed cool with me as I was compliant and sorry for my actions. He then took me to the checkouts where I paid for all the goods even the drill bit(he even swapped the packaging over for me) he said if I rang the number on the Civil Recovery notice in a few days and paid early he said it would be in my favour. At no point were the police called while I was there. I'm now worried the police could be involved and I could get arrested. I also feel a little in the dark as what might happen. Will I here from B and Q before I pay the civil cost or after? Will the police come knocking even tho they weren't contacted while I was in store? Really sorry about this.
    Tags: None

Re: Caught shoplifting in B and Q

You paid for the drill bit? If correct what are they saying you stole ignore the civil recovery firm

Comment

Yeah I paid for the drill bit in the end with the other goods, the guard said that I hadn't intended to pay for it as I'd took it out the packaging and put it in my pocket. I'm not bothered about paying the notice I just want to know what will happen in the next few days regarding if the police were called after I left. He said he wasn't going to call but I didn't know if that was to keep me calm. He said he had it on cctv. The only form I signed was the 1 month ban notice

Comment

Police?
        Why?
        No crime has been committed.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/60/section/1

1 Basic definition of theft.

(1) A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it; and “thief” and “steal” shall be construed accordingly.

CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

No police will be called.
          B7Q lost nothing

You did not actually commit a crime as you were forestalled and paid for the item.

A "civil recovery" firm (possibly our old friends RLP) will write uncivil letters to you full of spurious legalese and demanding some money in return for not sending you more threatening letters,
          and not taking you to court.
          Ignore them all, even those written in LARGE SCARY RED LETTERS

Keep your receipt, and come back if you ever by some lucky chance actually receive official court papers.
          You'll be the first since 2012 when they lost heavily in court!

Comment

You most absolutely have built this forum site into approximately special. I appreciate the structure of dissertation writing.
            Enjoy the best canned meat meals using easy recipes and a variety of delicious, high-quality SPAM® meat. See what SPAM® Brand can do!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X