• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Humber Bridge fine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humber Bridge fine

Hi
    It is free to cross the Humber Bridge if you are blue badge disabled. My mother is, and crossed in error at 6am one sunday morning in June. She immediately crossed back to go to her volunteer job.
    She saw no attendant and so just crossed the bridge, turned back, and crossed again.
    No one asked for the £1.50 payment or asked to see her blue badge.

She then received a £32 fine, saying she should have paid online, but she has no internet access and cannot use a computer....she is 80!

I contacted the e-mail they gave, and politely asked for leniency, due to blue badges being exempt anyway, that she is old, has no internet, and was volunteering for a charity. She had never been there before and doesn't live anywhere near the bridge, so it was a new area to her, and very confusing for her. To her, if you cross a bridge and dont get asked for money, then she knew nothing about going to website AFTER and paying, which she couldnt do anyway.

They just sent it to the LAW dept and demanded £55, and say it will keep going up.
    She is NOT paying this fine. The men that MUGGED her never had to pay THEIR fine.
    She lives in a one bed flat on a tiny pension driving an 18 year old car, and she isnt paying.
    I have sent them copies of her blue badge.

Can anyone help? Many thanks.
    Tags: None

Re: Humber Bridge fine

Was the car a tax exempt vehicle or was she a passenger in a taxed vehicle?

Comment

It's a tax exempt car Wales Man, due to being blue bade disabled. They just ignore copies of the blue badge!

Comment

Does the car tax classification change anything?

Comment

Yes if it was tax exempt its free to use bridge a blue badge alone does not exempt payment view humber bridge website for full details

Comment

Ah - They have never asked about the tax. Just ignored all my correspondence and just kept upping the fine.

Comment

Possibly personally visit the Bridge Administration Centre
              Possibly get your MP involved..Alan Johnson best (I live a few miles from bridge on North Bank

Turbs

Comment

We don't live anywhere near the bridge Turboman. We are 150 miles away.
                Our MP here is utterly useless. Just writes letters then sends you their replies, never tries to help or change anything - Jeff Smith, Labour.

Anyone else got any ideas? I have forwarded them proof the car is exempt from tax as disabled and Blue Badge, so it's free to cross the bridge.

Comment

If you read the requirements you will see that you have to apply in advance for the concession - see here http://www.humberbridge.co.uk/toll_i...oncessions.php I can find nothing about what happens if you have made a genuine mistake other than you receive a demand for payment. It may pay to speak to the admin office - the number listed on the website is 01482 647161.

Turboman's suggestion of involving your MP really meant the MP of your mum and not yours.

Comment

I know you are supposed to apply in advance, but she had no plans to cross it!
                    I've e-mailed the admin office 14 times.

We both have the same MP and he's useless.

Comment

Originally posted by Eponine loves Marius View Post

I know you are supposed to apply in advance, but she had no plans to cross it!
                      I've e-mailed the admin office 14 times.

We both have the same MP and he's useless.
                      I think I may be a little confused here. From what you have said so far your mum crossed the bridge in error early one Sunday on her way to a volunteer job. Later you say you live some 150 miles away, then you say you both have the same MP.

I was under the impression your mum lived in the vicinity of the bridge and you lived elsewhere, now it appears you both live elsewhere. If that is the case then how was she crossing the bridge at 6am if she had to travel 3 hours or so to get there.

As for emailing the Admin office then you really do need to ring them and speak to a real person.

Comment

Yes--I agree with Ploddertom -- you really need to speak to a real person.

re my suggestion of writing to MP Alan Johnson -- the Humber Bridge is within HIS constituency

Comment

Plodderman. We were visiting the area as a one off. We live nowhere near the bridge. The job was a one off thing that happened just that one day, not a full time job. Yes, we have the same MP and live in the same town, but he has no connections to that area.

- - - Updated - - -

Turboman, I wrote to an MP in that area, a Baroness someone, and other members of the Humber Board, but they couldn't help.

Comment

Sorry to say time to pay they seem to be
                            pursuing this till the end escalating the charge and costs as they go. Tfl chase Congestion charge payments through the courts sometimes we probably have all read of a £10 charge ending in the hundreds remember as with traffic offences the onus is on the drivers to know the rules if these were displayed at the bridge not much of a defence you can only rely on them cancelling fee not happening so far?

Comment

Eponine - can you private message me your mums name please? We are trying a bit of social media pressure to get your mum some help.
                              "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X