• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Can a debt become statute barred between claim form submission and court date?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a debt become statute barred between claim form submission and court date?

Hi Everyone,

I received a parking ticket in December 2010 and the company has suddenly started threatening me with legal action. I appealed the charge on the basis that i had paid but had only entered the number part of my registration number (they had recently updated their machines and the previous ones only asked for the 3 digit number to be entered, not the full registration). Fortunately i had the receipt and sent this to them as evidence that i had paid. The appeal was rejected and i told them that i was not viewing the debt as due. Another debt collection company sent me a couple of letters but i just kept pointing out that i had paid for the parking and wasn't acknowledging the debt. I heard nothing for over 5 years but now a new company is threatening legal action. If they submitted a claim form now it is unlikely there would be a hearing until the new year. My question is, if they submit a claim before the 6 years is up but then the court hearing takes place after the 6 years, could i argue in court that the debt is now statute barred?

Many thanks in advance!
    Tags: None

Re: Can a debt become statute barred between claim form submission and court date?

No the claim is not statute barred. Once a claim has been issued, the limitation period clock stops, it is only when the claim has been struck out or discontinued does it restart again from where it left off.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Re: Can a debt become statute barred between claim form submission and court date?

OK, thank you for your fast response. Looks like i will have to try and string things out for another couple of months before they submit their claim form!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X