• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Finance settled in error

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finance settled in error

Hi there,

I have car finance with a company called startline. They wrote to me 3 times in August to say that the account is settled after my recent payment and they no longer have any dealings with my car. This was strange after I owe over £9k but I thought my luck was in. To clarify I emailed them to ask them for the amount owing on my account and they emailed back £0. I then cancelled the direct debit and haven't paid anything since. They then called me earlier this month to say that there had clearly been an admin error and that I still owed £9k and I needed to pay the outstanding monthly payments that I've missed. I asked for them to send me this in writing as the whole thing had been very strange. I then received a letter this week to say that I owe the £9k and I need to pay 3 months payments to get the account back up to date.

The loan is showing as settled on my credit file which has just been updated again this month. The car is also not showing any hpi.

Is there any way around this or do I just need to take it on the chin and pay up?

Can they just change the status on my credit file without me signing anything or add hpi to the car without consulting me?*

I thank you in advance for any advice you may be able to provide me with

Adam*
    Tags: None

Re: Finance settled in error

I think you should make a formal complaint to the finance company about the confusion.
    However you did know what you owed but you cancelled the DD so I guess is 50-50 situation.
    You will have to make arrangements with the lender if 3months payments at once is not possible.

nem

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X