Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'Stepchange' as an option?

• Display
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)

Default Re: 'Stepchange' as an option?

Quote Originally Posted by Ripleykatz9999 View Post
    I have found much input from this thread to be very much like the attitude of debt-collection agencies, presumptive of ill-intent, uninformed & hiding any real solution until you beg your vulnerability & for mercy!!!!
    I'm hoping I've misunderstood this comment, but just for reassurance, everyone contributing here is a volunteer and is only offering their honest and supportive opinion. Mental health and debt have a dreadful co-dependent relationship and we see and assist with this combination on many threads regarding debt. I can assure you no one on LegalBeagles assumes any ill intent from you, far from it, we'd love to see you conquer the debt and discover some financial freedom for the first time in a long while. xxx
    :beagle:
    "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Thank you for the assurance Celestine & I am VERY grateful to be able to discuss my issues with debt & also the accompanying hardships of mental health. Indeed it is very much a part of my condition that I struggle to trust others, especially in the cut & thrust of the debt-collection game. It is great to have this voluntary discussion & support & for others to know that there ARE solutions. I hope to get back to this thread once I have even more information & advice!!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

MenuToggle navigation
    Debt Therapy Scotland Blog > Key Facts You Need to Know About Statute Barred Debt in Scotland
    Key Facts You Need to Know About Statute Barred Debt in Scotland
    Written by Brian Hemmings , Debt Therapy Scotland, on Tuesday July 21st 2015
    Have you ever been chased for old debts before, perhaps debts that you’ve long since forgotten about or never even knew that you had? It can be a frightening prospect, to receive a letter or phone call from a debt collector asking you to pay up for a debt completely out of the blue.

This situation can often happen in the case of small debts owed from old mobile phone bills that have been forgotten about as you moved service providers. Or catalogue debts that continue to build through high interest being added on, even though you thought you’ve paid such debts off in the past. In fact, many different types of debt get forgotten about for various reasons. Old debts can also crop up if you’ve been a victim of fraud or someone has taken out a credit card or loan on your behalf.

Luckily though, if you’re being chased for debts that are more than 5 years old (and you live in Scotland), they may have become “statute barred” and if so you won’t need to worry about them.

What are Statute Barred Debts in Scotland?

Statute barred debts are those debts that can’t legally be enforced because of a significant lapse of time where the debt has not been acknowledged by the creditor or debtor. This is governed by the Prescription and Limitation (Scotland) Act 1973 in section 6.

Unlike the rest of the UK, statute barred debts in Scotland come into effect if the debt is 5 years old, rather than 6 years.

There is a set of conditions involved in statute barred debts as follows:

1) There must be no outstanding decree against you.

2) There must be no record of payment made towards the debt in the last 5 years.

3) There must be no written communication between the creditor and you to say that the debt has been acknowledged.

All three conditions must be met in order for the debt in question to be classed as statute barred. If a debt is statute barred, this basically means that it no longer exists and creditors or debt collection agencies have no right to hassle you.

What debts can’t be classed as statute barred?

There are some debts that the legislation doesn’t apply to. Debts that can’t be classed as statute barred are council tax debts, income tax and VAT, mortgage shortfalls, student loans and any debts owed to the Department or Work and Pensions (e.g. benefit overpayments).

If you have a Sheriff Court decree against you, the creditor will have up to 20 years to enforce the decree. In this case you won’t be able to dispute that you owe the debt.

What do if you’re being chased for old debts?

If you’re contacted by a debt collector for old debts, under no circumstances should you acknowledge the debt unless you know for a fact that it’s your recent debt and you do need to pay it.

You’ll probably feel put on the spot or a bit shocked at receiving a phone call or letter demanding payment for old debts, but don’t let your emotions get in way of the fact-finding mission that you’ll need to embark upon at this point.

Look through your bank statements and any other records to see if the debt is indeed yours and whether it’s more than 5 years old, before officially responding to the debt collector. If you have no record of such debt or you know that a debt is more than 5 years old, you can then take the following steps:

1). Make sure you don’t have a decree against you. You can check this on your credit report if you’re not sure.

2. Write to the debt collection agency or creditor and ask them to give you the information they hold about you in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1988.

3. Once you know the details the debt collection agency or creditor has on you, you can write to them again to let them know that the debt in question has become time barred and remind them of their obligations under the Prescription and Limitation (Scotland) Act 1973.

There are some very useful sample letters you can use for steps 2 and 3 on the Debt Watchdog website.

Keep things official - in writing
    - See more at: https://www.debttherapyscotland.co.u....53Ycwi0N.dpuf

Mentioned
    473 Post(s)

https://www.stepchange.org/Mediacent...orisation.aspx

StepChange Debt Charity receives FCA authorisation
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "
    Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

im with Stepchange and have been for 2 years couldnt recommended them highly enough. They put me on a DMP (Debt Management Plan ) and I havent looked back, 100% go for it FANTASTIC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12