• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Voluntary Termination with Startline Motor Finance 25/10/2016

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voluntary Termination with Startline Motor Finance 25/10/2016

Hi everyone.

After reading 100s of posts on here for months in prep of voluntary terminating my agreement with startline motor finance I have finally voluntary terminated today! (Well sent an email and phoned to pay the remainder to get me to the 50% mark)

All went fine on the phone and the guy on the other end understood that it was a voluntary termination and agree with me the amount outstanding which I payed there and then.

He said to send an email stating what i intend to do (I already had sent the template letter from here, thanks [MENTION=71570]R0b[/MENTION] )

He further said that I will receive forms to sign in the post (which I won't be signing) and stated that they use Mannheim auctions and the closest one to me is an hour drive or they can collect the vehicle for a fee of £180!!! Chancers!!!

So I guess now I wait to get the forms in the post and then email them to state that I won't be signing them? What should I state on the email?

With regards to the delivery of the car to the auction house I am happy to drive the hour to be honest as I think it's a reasonable distance.. 28miles?

So yeah hopefully all goes smooth all I need to do now is give it a thorough clean tomorrow and take photos with tomorrow's newspaper in it!

Should I be doing anything else?

Thanks,
    Nathan
    Tags: None

Re: Voluntary Termination with Startline Motor Finance 25/10/2016

Checklist:

1. Make sure car is clean, does not require a valet though
    2. Take plenty of photos both inside and out, including any rips, tears, marks etc. just in case they are amplified at a later date by the lender. If you want a photo of today's newspaper you can do that too.
    3. Make sure the service book, MOT, V5C and any other work carried out on the car for repairs are all there including receipts. If missing MOT try and grab an online copy and print it out.
    4. Not essential but take a note of the mileage too if you aren't signing any paperwork.

Where is the car currently parked, is it on a main road or private drive/garage?

As for the forms, you aren't obliged to drive the car to the auction site as it will cause you to incur further costs beyond your liability. So unless they are willing to recompense you (have it in writing not over the phone) then I would suggest they come collect the car. If you are happy to drive the 28 miles then that of course is up to you though.

If you want them to collect the car instead, you are not obliged to pay the collection fee and as I am sure if you have read the posts, there has been on occasions a stand off before they eventually come and collect it so be prepared for that too if you go down that route
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

[MENTION=71570]R0b[/MENTION] thank you for the checklist I will be sure to use it.

The car is currently parked in a public road just outside my house on the street.

I've got all receipts of what has been done to the car (only tyres, brakes and regular servicing)

Yeah I understand about driving to the auction with it. What I will do is ensure i enquire about having the costs recompensated in writing.

The reason I'm willing to drive is that I won't really have anywhere to park my new car if I end up with a long dispute over collection.

I'm guessing their paperwork that I will receive in the post will be something along the lines of "agree to all damage st your cost" and after reading the posts I won't be signing them! They should arrive this week the guy said.

Comment

Sounds like you have it all in hand! I can understand the reason for wanting to drive it to the auction but don't expect them to agree to recompense you as they will point to the terms and conditions saying that you have to return it to them or pay a fee to collect.

You are also correct on the paperwork, it will most likely say something such as you agree that an inspection will be carried out and agree to pay the damage identified in the carrying out of the inspection itself.

Make sure you keep all paperwork and for namesake I would suggest you scan or take a photo of all relevant documents and letters throughout the process in case a dispute arises somewhere down the line.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hi [MENTION=71570]R0b[/MENTION] an update:

Received an email this afternoon from Startline:

"Thank you for your email dated 25th October 2016. In response, I can see from your records that our customer service advisor has explained the process of voluntary termination to you.

I have arranged for a Voluntary Termination form to be posted to you. Please complete and return in the pre- addressed envelope that will be enclosed.

On receipt of your form you will be contacted regarding delivery of the vehicle.

Should you require any further information please contact our customer service advisors on the number below.

Customer service advisors telephone number is 02920853528.

Our office is open from
          8.00 am to 8.30pm Monday to Thursday
          8.00 am to 5:00pm Friday
          9.00 am to 5:00pm Saturday

Kind Regards

Service & Administration Team"

So they've received and confirmed my VT so I have now cancelled my direct debit, payment comes out on the 25th of each month so I think I'm safe there?

Thanks

Nathan

Comment

Hello Nathan,

Yes you can cancel your DD now, no issues.

What you do now is entirely up to you, if you are not willing to sign the VT documentation, I would suggest you respond to them and confirm that you will not be signing any VT documents which have been posted out to you as you are not under any legal obligation to do so. You are however willing to return the car to the nearest auction as soon as possible, and therefore ask for details of their preferred auction site so you can deliver the car.
            LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Great - all cancelled now!

I think I will email them confirming that and for details of the auction house.

I'll post again once I hear from them.

Thanks [MENTION=71570]R0b[/MENTION]

Nathan

Comment

Hi [MENTION=71570]R0b[/MENTION]

I have received a response from Startline (see attached photo)

I am not signing this form and have since drafted this up to send off to them:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Re: Reference Number: xxxxxxxx Voluntary Termination

Agreement Number: xxxxxxxxxxx
                Vehicle Registration: xxxxxxx

I am writing further to your letter dated 26 October 2016.

I am confirming that I will not be signing the Voluntary Termination Form which was posted out to me dated 26 October 2016 as I am not under any legal obligation to do so. I am however willing to return the car to the nearest auction house which I was told is Manheim Shotts by you via a telephone call as soon as possible and I ask for a delivery date to be confirmed in writing.

I can confirm that I have the registration document, MOT certificate, up-to-date service records, tools, accessories, handbook and spare security keys which came with the vehicle will be delivered with the vehicle.

May I remind you that I wrote to you on 25 October 2016 confirming termination of the vehicle, giving 14 days’ notice, and since subsequent notice has been given I have now cancelled my direct debit payments to you as the Consumer Credit Act limits my liability to half of the total amount payable under the agreement which I have paid.

I would therefore urge you to arrange delivery of the vehicle at the earliest opportunity.

Yours faithfully,
                xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If you could have a skim over that to check that it is ok that would be highly appreciated. I am wanting to write in something to go over the paragraph at the bottom of their vt form about repair costs to highlight that I limited to half the total amount payable and over and above fair wear and tear I wont be liable for repair costs, any help?

Thanks,

Nathan
                Attached Files

Comment

Morning,

Looks fine to me
                  LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Evening [MENTION=71570]R0b[/MENTION]

Sent the email off the other day and received a phone call yesterday from someone at Manheim and the car is now booked in for Friday @ 9am.

Going to give the car a final wash and take photo graphs inside and out tomorrow with a newspaper in them.

I have got all the documents together ie MOT certificate, service record, spare keys, manuals and V5C.

Should I do anything else?

Could this thread be moved over to the appropriate category?

Thanks,

Nathan

Comment

Sounds like you have everything in order, just remember you are not obliged to sign any documentation from Manheim.

I don't think I have come across Startline Finance on here before so I wouldn't know what to expect but the experience received from other finance companies, I wouldn't expect anything less than claiming for potential car damage and/or excess mileage.
                      LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

So [MENTION=71570]R0b[/MENTION] I have now dropped car off at manheim and no inspection was done on the car. Ownership has been transferred and insurance cancelled on the car.

I have taken a lot of photos yesterday so I have proof of condition should they try anything.

Should I email them explaining this?

Thanks

Comment

I wouldn't bother, just keep them saved and keep copies just in case but wait and see what happens next.
                          LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

Hi I have just got a letter of start line finance for notice of late payment so I have emailed them . They are saying my account is still active and I need to pay the balance. My car was picked up a month ago any advice please mike

Comment

Hello mike, it might be best to post up on your own thread so there's no cross over with anyone elses or any confusion. If you are able to upload the letter with your personal info removed I can take a look for you, but if the car has already been returned then you shouldn't owe anything.
                              LEGAL DISCLAIMER

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X