• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Is it worth writing to PE to explain I wasn't the driver? - won

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it worth writing to PE to explain I wasn't the driver? - won

Situation:
    - 15 min overstay at supermarket car park (summer 2016)
    - In-laws from overseas were using the car, they did a big shop for souvenirs to take home hence overstay.

- Received two letters from Parking Eye, now it is with DRP and have had a second letter saying 'last chance before we pass to client and suggest to take you to court'.
    - I have today written to supermarket explaining situation and asking them to cancel the charge.

Question:
    - Should I continue to ignore PE/DRP or should I write them to explain the circumstance and suggest them to chase in-laws overseas?
    Tags: None

Re: Is it worth writing to PE to explain I wasn't the driver?

Definitely write to them and give them the name and address of the drivers. They won't like it but tough. They will then not have any cause to chase you, the keeper. Act swiftly, You MUST get the name and address to them before the start of any court proceedings. Get free proof of postage from a post office when you send the letter

Comment

Thanks!!!

Can/will they not turn around and say 'your problem, you pay us and get the money off the driver'?

Comment

They can say what they want, and they might, but you'll have a solid defence.

Hopefully they were insured as to spite you they may refer that to the polis, although unlikely. (permitting an uninsured driver to drive your car is a hefty penalty too)

M1

Comment

Originally posted by hatsumomo View Post
          Thanks!!!

Can/will they not turn around and say 'your problem, you pay us and get the money off the driver'?
          NO. .

Comment

Thanks. I am not sure exactly who was driving it, there were 3 potential drivers, so can I just say so and give multiple name/addresses to pursue?

Comment

Give them all 3 names. It's then not your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by ostell View Post
                Give them all 3 names. It's then not your problem.

I'm not so sure.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/...dule/4/enacted

Right to claim unpaid parking charges from keeper of vehicle

4(1)The creditor has the right to recover any unpaid parking charges from the keeper of the vehicle.

(2)The right under this paragraph applies only if—

(a)the conditions specified in paragraphs 5, 6, 11 and 12 (so far as applicable) are met; and

(b)the vehicle was not a stolen vehicle at the beginning of the period of parking to which the unpaid parking charges relate.

Conditions that must be met for purposes of paragraph 4

5(1)The first condition is that the creditor—

(a)has the right to enforce against the driver of the vehicle the requirement to pay the unpaid parking charges; but

(b)is unable to take steps to enforce that requirement against the driver because the creditor does not know both the name of the driver and a current address for service for the driver.

So the question is, does a list of possible drivers mean that they don't know ? I think that's an argument a judge could rule either way on. I would either name one and hope they gave up, or make an effort to get the correct one and expect no more than 1 letter. I wouldn't then expect them to do court.

M1

Comment

I wrote to both Parking Eye and the supermarket, explained the situation, and just now got a call from the supermarket HQ saying they have spoke to PE and the charge is now cancelled.

Thanks all for the advice and comments.

:vixen:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X