• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Is a signature on a timesheet as good as cash?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a signature on a timesheet as good as cash?

Most agency timesheets for the supply of labour contain terms stating that a signature by the client is an acceptance that the work performed by the agency labour is/was satisfactory and the hours claimed are correct. However, what should happen in the event that following signature by the client's representative, the hours on the sheet are later found to be excessive, the work defective or the agency labour lacking the requisite qualification and skills requested by the client.

For monitoring working hours most places have some system of recording attendance (turnstiles, swipe cards, signing in book etc) but the data may not be accessible at the time the sheet is signed.

Using the obiter of the judge in JDM Accord v DEFRA [2004] is it possible to reduce the value of timesheets which contain general errors such as not allowing for deductible meal breaks or were fraudulently produced? An agency worker who claims for 60 hours when other evidence has recorded only 40 hours is committing a fraud isn't he, even if the client's representative has foolishly signed it?

In such circumstances, would a client be justified in reducing the value of a subsequent invoice knowing that the agency had already paid the invoiced amount to the agency worker?
    Tags: None

Re: Is a signature on a timesheet as good as cash?

Hi Ripped-off

AfaIk, in relation to agency workers there will be 2 contracts, agency/client & agency/worker.
    If that is so, any issues the client has should be addressed to the agency (esp with regard to the quality of work & qualification required).
    Some info here - https://www.gov.uk/agency-workers-your-rights/pay
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Thanks charitynjw but you might have misunderstood me.

I was leaning more towards the contract between the client and the agency rather than the agency and the worker.

Normally the client verifies the timesheet by signing it, the worker submits this to the agency, the agency pays the worker (normally after a week or so) and the client then pays the agency a few weeks later depending on their payment terms.

My query was concerned with a fraud by the worker which was not spotted by the client, who had signed the timesheet, which was then presented to and paid by the agency, only for the client to later realise the fraudulent act when it had the opportunity to collect and interpret the attendance data. The client may then then want to pay the agency less than the agency had paid the worker.

Hope that makes sense?

Comment

In which case the client sorts this with the agency.
        There may be terms in their contract which allow for this.
        CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
        Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
        gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
        The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X