• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Bullying boss, withdrawal of paternity leave and threats of dismissal

Collapse
This thread is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bullying boss, withdrawal of paternity leave and threats of dismissal

I've been trying to speak to ACAS for hours now and have been forced to listen to Mozart whilst on hold so I'm now desperate for help from elsewhere.

Some of you know our story... so I won't go into it but there has been a rather hideous development.

My OH was hauled in to see the big boss (who normally is in another part of the country) - and basically verbally abused and personally insulted. Apparently this is the way he works/manages his staff and it doesn't sound like anyone has ever stood up to him (or that if they have they have been fried).

Today he was threatened with dismissal and told he cannot have any time off when our baby's born (he's not been there long enough to qualify for paternity leave). (I was 39 weeks yesterday so the baby is due any day now) He was given the choice - don't take time off (they've already agreed to him taking a week's holiday in emails) or don't have a job. This has all been because he is not bringing in enough sales - despite the fact that that's how things are at the moment, no one has any money to buy anything and hasn't followed up some leads because he's been doing other things. (Not sure what the details are but I know that the boss is being unreasonable and what he hasn't/has done aren't grounds for dismissal)

It makes me feel physically sick to think there are disgusting employers around who like to intimidate like that. uke:

Anyway my OH has decided to look for another job asap but in the meantime what can he do?

Re: Bullying boss, withdrawal of paternity leave and threats of dismissal

OMG Bluebell that sounds terrible, there are some nasty people out there.

I know it is easy for me to say, but try not to get too stressed, not in your condition.

I am sure someone will be along with some info for you soon.

((((((((((hugs)))))))))) SL xxx
    Member of the Beagles £2 coin and small change savers clubs, both based in the Debt Forum:11:

Comment

This is off the ACAS website you seem to already know your OH is not entitled to Paternity leave, but here are the facts just have a recheck you never know. Enaid x

Acas - Paternity leave and pay

Comment

Thanks Enaid I think one of the most brilliant things that I love about the Legal Beagles is the people!! makes me realise that although there might be nasty buggers around there are lots of other wonderful lovely people too. thank you xx

Comment

OMG well we knew his boss was a bit of a ****** about the petrol but this is ridiculous.

My first thoughts go and claim constructive dismissal but thats a tad drastic. You'd be better off on benefits as things stand.

I'll have a word with someone to have a look.
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

You really dont need this stress at the moment! but unfortunately you are in betwen a rcok and a hard place. Do you have family near who can help when the baby is born ?

Are they saying he can not even have a couple of days off?

Make sure you keep records of everything that has been said and the copy email that you have as even if you can not use it now when you are not sure of your rights - it may be useful for the future.

Does your OH have a written contract from his employer?

How long has he worked there?

I know it wil realy grate but he needs t keep his cool at the moment as you dont want him to loose his job until he has somethng else .

Just keep accumulating evidence for the moment

thinking of you
            "What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

"Always reach for the moon, if you miss you'll end up among the stars"

Comment

Thanks for your messages. He has just got home and they have fired him! They sound like a load of complete w***ers. First the main boss says "how would you like to go home and tell your girlfriend you've lost your job" as a threat - then later in the afternoon he ha a meeting with the 3 bosses and they did actually fire him! They're using the current climate as the official reason - that they need to downsize - which is good for him I suppose but have told him it is because he's not bringing in enough sales and doesn't have a strong enough sense of urgency. He's only been there 4 months and I would have thought he'd have been given a bit of time to get used to the area and get to know the clients.

They really laid into him and made it very personal and critical and nasty.

Anway they're going to let him know how much time he's got tomorrow - talk about unprofessional - aren't they supposed to sort it all out and THEN tell him?

He thinks he may be given time off when the baby arrives - and to go to interviews... how kind !! grrrrrrrrrrrrr :mad2:

Comment

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hug))))))))))) )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

I wont waffle on about benefits etc now cause you don;t need to hear it. But he wasnt happy in that job, they were screwing him with the petrol and treating him like crap.

How is he coping with it? Hes a lot on his plate bless him.

You stay strong for you and baby, and try look on the positives :hug:
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

hi,

please feel free to look at my website www.employmentlawlive.co.uk if you need advice then please ask you husband to call me.

Once we have had a chat and once I know the full facts then I can advice him on the options available to him.

Comment

Thanks Ame, Somehow I know it's all going to be ok. I think the worst thing is that G was so happy to have passed his manual test so he could drive their stinky company car. He was filled with a renewed sense of confidence as a result because they had had a guillotine hanging over him ever since he started. He only got to feel that great feeling for a few days and now all the pressure is on again. He's being really positive though and is happy in one way - he says it was like working in a morgue.

Thanks for posting your info Stephen I had a look at your site !! At the moment it feels as though my OH doesn't have any rights whatsoever. I don't think he has been there long enough. I'll ask him to give you a ring though as there might be something we can do...rather than just take it and let them get away with it!

Comment

OH MY GOD! I knew this would happen somehow - they've offered him the job back. With "extra monitoring/support" and 3 days paternity leave. hahahahahahhahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahha ahahahahahhaa. He had come out of the meeting with them to phone me to see what I thought and they expected him to go back with an answer!!!!!! hahahahhahahha

I said I thought he should tell them he needs more time to consider it - and not let them bully him. Poor G! I think they must know they've done something very very wrong

Comment

This must be hellish for both of you - maybe he can use this to barter for some improved terms, and the paternity leave that he deserves

Good Luck

S

Comment

My opinion would be to get this in writing and stick it out, but look for another job as a matter of urgency.

I always advocate taking a job you like over money, but in reality its best to have food on the table.
                          And in this case you need to have an income.

I dont know what your hubby does for a living, but there are lots of agencies out there who can source jobs. I have had my last couple of jobs through one and as they get paid by the employer and not the employee, they are are more active in getting you a job.

Comment

Thanks for your advice! He's gone back to them to say he'll accept their offer to have the job back. He's going to try to barter for more paternity (holiday really) leave or the three days plus working from home for a couple of days. He's going to get it all in writing too.

I spoke to Stephen from employmentlawlive.co.uk who was fantastic - he advised him to write requesting the holiday that was agreed in the email - if they won't give it to him they need to have good reason, if they don't have good reason and he takes time off and they sack him he have 'em for not allowing him to assert his statutory right. Otherwise he has no rights really whatsoever for 12 months.

Phew...
                            I think I'll go and have a lie-down....

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                            X