• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Urgent help required - Court Papers received

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent help required - Court Papers received

Good Evening,

I would really appreciate someones help with the situation I'm faced with.

I have received a money claim for almost £2000 from my previous landlord with regards to rent arrears.

I have filed acknowledgement of service however I only have 5 days left before I need to submit my defense.

There are a number of reasons as to why I want to defend the claim, however, I feel that with my defense statement that I'm waffling on a bit.

I'm extremely worried about getting a CCJ. The rent owed is around £1000 and I cannot afford to pay this, however I could potentially do it by installments.

Can anybody help?

Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Urgent help required - Court Papers received

Originally posted by wozzle View Post
    I have received a money claim for almost £2000 from my previous landlord with regards to rent arrears.

I have filed acknowledgement of service however I only have 5 days left before I need to submit my defense.

There are a number of reasons as to why I want to defend the claim, however, I feel that with my defense statement that I'm waffling on a bit.

I'm extremely worried about getting a CCJ. The rent owed is around £1000 and I cannot afford to pay this, however I could potentially do it by installments.
    Are you saying that you believe you genuinely owe £1,000 rent arrears but not £2,000?

What are the reasons why you feel you should defend the claim? I wonder if any of these could be reason to counterclaim and if so how much do you think your counterclaim should be?

Is/was your Landlord a private Landlord or a social housing Landlord?

Did you leave the property voluntarily or after a court order for possession due to rent arrears?

Sorry for all the questions but the more you tell the more able it will be to help

Di

Comment

The rent arrears are £1000 and then they have added costs into the amount.

It is a student landlord.

I left the property voluntarily.

I have until early next week to reply with a defence.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Comment

Can anyone help with this?

Comment

Hi wozzle

I'll give [MENTION=87380]Diana M[/MENTION] & [MENTION=15129]Crazy council[/MENTION] a nudge.
          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
          Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
          gets his brain a-going.
          Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
          The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Hi

you say

It is a student landlord.
            Was it a student let, and a HMO ( multiple occupancy, or single flat/house let
            crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Shared tenancy in a flat for students

Comment

Hi

Some student lets are set up differently, was your term on your agreement yearly, six monthly or did it end on the week collage ends.

how many weeks was the £ 1000 areas
                did the LL or other students try re-let
                was there any problems with the property that the LL did not address
                crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

It was a 50 week tenancy. The final installment was due on the 1 April of £1500, to which I paid £500 at the end of April, and agreed to pay the remainder in 2 monthly amounts in May and June. I moved out in the last week of May due to the below issues...

The rent was due termly. For the final term, I didn't pay as I had advised the LL that I had moved out due to reloating down south. I had previously attempted to get the tenancy transferred to another student who could take over the let and pay the rent, however they said "they couldnt be bothered to sort this out as it was too much hassle". The tenancy agreement does state that this is at their discretion.

I moved back to the flat, and we set up a payment plan to pay the outstanding balance, of which I paid off £500 of outstanding rent, leaving £1000. They accused me of sub-letting the room, and terminated this agreement and said I had to pay it all immediately. During this, they let my ex-girlfriend into the flat to retrieve some items she had left there when she had stayed over. She took her things as well as some of mine and the LL let her run riot in the flat on a free for all without him accompanying her (basically stood in the hallway and let her take what she liked).

I moved out on this basis because I felt that I couldnt live here with peace and security if he is going to let somebody in the flat without my permission, or any other of the tenants permission.

Comment

Hi

The rent was due termly. For the final term, I didn't pay as I had advised the LL that I had moved out due to reloating down south. I had previously attempted to get the tenancy transferred to another student who could take over the let and pay the rent, however they said "they couldnt be bothered to sort this out as it was too much hassle". The tenancy agreement does state that this is at their discretion.
                    Hi, thats yourt defence, althought the TA says its at there discression, it doesnt meen they can blidly ignore it. Did you record the part were he said to much hassle

I moved back to the flat, and we set up a payment plan to pay the outstanding balance, of which I paid off £500 of outstanding rent, leaving £1000. They accused me of sub-letting the room, and terminated this agreement and said I had to pay it all immediately. During this, they let my ex-girlfriend into the flat to retrieve some items she had left there when she had stayed over. She took her things as well as some of mine and the LL let her run riot in the flat on a free for all without him accompanying her (basically stood in the hallway and let her take what she liked).
                    that needs detailing into a counter claim, If he did this, whilst still charging you rent, unless it has agreement in the origional TA, he can not do that , and would be liable

Comment

I have PM'd you some more information.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X