• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Court summons while living abroad, limited time to respond

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Court summons while living abroad, limited time to respond

Originally posted by Diana M View Post

You've already sent a CCA Request (what date was that sent?) and you've been told by Howard Cohen that they don't have the documents. Ditto their response to your CPR 31.14 Request.

Di
    This is for an (assumed) overdraft?

I agree that sight of the particulars of claim (or a verbatim) would be an advantage.
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by HungarySam View Post
      So the potential course of action would be to send the two requests, then file a defense .
      Yes

I believe the LB CPR 31.14 Request template letter refers to the potential to seek more time but you must request that in writing not over the the phone which can be denied.

Proceed on the basis that no extension will be granted just in case it isn't.

Di

Comment

Whilst Sam has written a letter from Hungary and waits for a reply it could well too late to do anything at all., Cohen will take any opportunity to get a judgment.

nem

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
          Whilst Sam has written a letter from Hungary and waits for a reply it could well too late to do anything at all.
          Fair point, but I was assuming that email was available in Hungary and that the family member who had alerted the OP to the claim in detail could scan/email stuff to/from them (by smart phone possibly?).

The OP has access to the internet since they're posting on the forum.

The Defence can be filed online.

Maybe the family member can post letters on behalf of Sam including the £1 postal order. A 'squigge' signature will do.

Royal Mail's website says mail to/from Hungary takes 2-4 days so not all bad.

Di

Comment

Originally posted by Diana M View Post
            Fair point, but I was assuming that email was available in Hungary and that the family member who had alerted the OP to the claim in detail could scan/email stuff to/from them (by smart phone possibly?).

The OP has access to the internet since they're posting on the forum.

The Defence can be filed online.

Di
            Cohen I think does not accept service of documents by e-mail, and in recent experience a request for an extension by e-mail was totally ignored.

nem

Comment

I send everything by email backed up by post. That covers all bases.

The only other advice on this thread is for the OP to pay the debt which would be a pity.

Di

Comment

Hi all - I am really grateful for your help,

I was going to mail the documents using DHL from here, the normal post service is fairly efficient but there isn't a way I can have proof they have been sent.

The defense I would file online.

Sorry to go through this again I just need to be clear -

Can send a a 77/78 CCA and CPR 31.14 Request despite them not having enough time to respond. Can I do that today then file the defense online before the deadline acknowledging that they have only been sent recently?

Or

I send the requests then apply for a time extension to make sure they have the required amount of time before then filing my defense?

Comment

The template CPR letter incorporates an invitation to the deadline extension.

If it were me I'd send them anyway, & word the defence to suit closer to the deadline (or if accepted, extended deadline).

Whichever, make sure you stick to the court's timetable.
                  CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                  Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                    The template CPR letter incorporates an invitation to the deadline extension.

If it were me I'd send them anyway, & word the defence to suit closer to the deadline (or if accepted, extended deadline).

Whichever, make sure you stick to the court's timetable.
                    Thank you very much.

I have just noticed that the 77778 CCA request does not cover overdrafts. Is there something similar to request the original documents for an overdraft?

Comment

Thank you very much.

I have just noticed that the 77778 CCA request does not cover overdrafts. Is there something similar to request the original documents for an overdraft?
                      No, only the CPR request, but you can SAR HSBC for data if you need it.
                      http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ur-information
                      CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                      Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Also, I am just writing my CPR 31.14 and am completing the section on requesting documents.

The summons states:

This claim is for the sum of £1089 in respect of monies owed pertinent to an overdraft facility under bank account number x.
                        The debt was legally assigned by MKDP (Ex HSBC) to the claimant and notice has been served. The defendant has failed to repay overdraft sums owing under the terms and conditions of the bank account.

I assume I am asking for the assignment here. Do I need to ask for anything else?
                        Last edited by HungarySam; 5th October 2016, 12:10:PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Also, regarding my defense - I have only seen this example on here http://legalbeagles.info/forums/show...t-Court-Claims
                          which seems to be specific to debts covered by the CCA (which an overdraft is not?)

Are there other examples available, I have not found any.

Comment

which seems to be specific to debts covered by the CCA (which an overdraft is not?)
                            Overdrafts are exempt via s74 CCA from Part V of the CCA, amongst which is duty to supply info via ss77 or 78.
                            I believe they (o/d's) are subject to other parts of the CCA, though.
                            Last edited by charitynjw; 5th October 2016, 15:00:PM.
                            CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
                            Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Hi all - I am really grateful for your help,

I was going to mail the documents using DHL from here, the normal post service is fairly efficient but there isn't a way I can have proof they have been sent.

The defense I would file online.

Sorry to go through this again I just need to be clear -

Can send a a 77/78 CCA and CPR 31.14 Request despite them not having enough time to respond. Can I do that today then file the defense online before the deadline acknowledging that they have only been sent recently?

Or

I send the requests then apply for a time extension to make sure they have the required amount of time before then filing my defense?
                              Both at the same time, CCA to claimant CPR to solicitors + the request for an extension.

nem

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
                                Both at the same time, CCA to claimant CPR to solicitors + the request for an extension.

nem
                                Hi nem,

I'm trying to figure out how to write my defense but I'm really struggling. I am writing it knowing that my two requests for information have been sent late so is it best to acknowledge that or not mention it.

Trying to do this abroad just seems to add another level of difficulty.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X