Thread: Claim for Personal Injury compensation at work place

• Display
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Claim for Personal Injury compensation at work place

My employer doesn't have any regular premises maintenance system. They don't seem to repair broken window panes, damaged staircases and uneven potholes. I struck one last night while returning home and suffered an ankle and knee injury. I'm sure this is likely to cause loss of work for a certain period, which can be compensated. But who's going to compensate the cost of medication? Can I file for Personal Injury compensation?

Mentioned
    76 Post(s)

Default Re: Claim for Personal Injury compensation at work place

Hi, sorry to hear of your injury. In order to make a claim for personal injuries it is necessary to show that your employer has been negligent and as a result you have suffered an injury as a result of that negligence.
    In order to consider whether there may be a claim could you provide a bit more information. What type of job do you do? How long have you worked there and have you ever reported the various issues you mention, such as the potholes, to your employer in the past? Did the accident happen at your place of work or in the carrying out of your duties? Does your employer complete risk assessments? Did you report your fall and have you completed the accident book yet (although that may not have been possible if you are off and it only happened yesterday, but have you informed work why you're off?).
    Can you also provide a bit more info on the injuries that you have sustained. Did you go to hospital/GP and have they indicated what injury you have and the likely recovery time? If the injury is minor then it may not be possible to make a claim. The value of any injury is based on previous case law. I can explain this further once I have more info, if needs be.
    i appreciate there are a lot of questions but it is important to find out a bit more to point you in the right direction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I work for a Car Repair Service that's not quite managed properly. Stress from regular running between hardware stores caused a hairline fracture besides the ligament damage I suffered (after falling into an uneven pothole) caused ankle sprain.

Mentioned
    76 Post(s)

Hi,
    had you ever reported the 'pothole' and do you have any photos of the area?
    Sorry do you mean you sustained a stress fracture from running between the stores or did you go over in the pothole which caused the fracture? You appear to indicate in the first post that you were on your way home. Is that correct?
    Did you complete the accident book? Did you go to A&E? How is your injury now?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You may certainly file a claim. Talk to your attorney.

Mentioned
    76 Post(s)

Hi @sophiasmith,
    I'm glad you've now recovered.
    How long were you off work? Did you have to see the Dr a number of times or were you referred to the hospital?
    Has your employer done anything about the pothole since your accident?
    In order to consider whether you have a potential claim, it would be sensible to see some photos of the pothole.
    Had you reported the pothole before the accident?
    Look forward to hearing.
    Last edited by Amethyst; 4th May 2017 at 12:27:PM.
    I am a fully qualified solicitor employed by the LegalBeagles forum to assist you with a wide range of legal questions. I would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability. I do not represent clients off forum. If in doubt seek professional face to face legal advice.