• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

British Gas imposing Default without being able to evidence debt!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Gas imposing Default without being able to evidence debt!

I have been battling with British Gas now for 8 months. They have registered a default on my credit file, for an account I do not believe I held.
    BG. have been unable to provide evidence of either a credit agreement or Utility bills relating to this debt and have led me round in circles, giving me inconsistent information on the amount outstanding, and related account numbers.
    The current situation is that they have informed me I owe almost £1700 for an unpaid bill on a 3 bed property I rented between April and November 2012! Not only are they unable to provide a breakdown of these costs, or any related paperwork, the amount they are claiming I used over summer months, would suggest a major Gas leak, unless I was actually fuelling the rest of the street also.
    My question is - if BG are unable to evidence this debt and yet have adversely impacted my credit reference to the point where I have been stuck in rented accommodation since 2012, what can I do about this?
    Can I clear my name - without agreeing to pay off a debt that I do not owe?
    What would the implications of taking this to court be?
    I desperately need to get my self into a position where I am able to get back on the mortgage ladder therefore I am determined not to let these idiots beat me!
    All help would be very much appreciated please?
    Tags: None

Re: British Gas imposing Default without being able to evidence debt!

Originally posted by BettyBo68 View Post
    I have been battling with British Gas now for 8 months. They have registered a default on my credit file, for an account I do not believe I held.
    BG. have been unable to provide evidence of either a credit agreement or Utility bills relating to this debt and have led me round in circles, giving me inconsistent information on the amount outstanding, and related account numbers.
    The current situation is that they have informed me I owe almost £1700 for an unpaid bill on a 3 bed property I rented between April and November 2012! Not only are they unable to provide a breakdown of these costs, or any related paperwork, the amount they are claiming I used over summer months, would suggest a major Gas leak, unless I was actually fuelling the rest of the street also.
    My question is - if BG are unable to evidence this debt and yet have adversely impacted my credit reference to the point where I have been stuck in rented accommodation since 2012, what can I do about this?
    Can I clear my name - without agreeing to pay off a debt that I do not owe?
    What would the implications of taking this to court be?
    I desperately need to get my self into a position where I am able to get back on the mortgage ladder therefore I am determined not to let these idiots beat me!
    All help would be very much appreciated please?
    It seems all you are suggesting is that you are wanting to sue them for libel aka defamation of character. This would be incredibly hard to prove in court and to what avail, as your credit rating will either already be effected, or it would be difficult to put a figure of loss to the court as to what exactly you want to sue them for. You could always put an appeal in to the scare on your credit rating but what that would achieve is anyone's guess. Last thing i would do is pay a bill you do not owe!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X