• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

I got robbed yesterday and the agent is asking me to pay for the lock change

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got robbed yesterday and the agent is asking me to pay for the lock change

Hello. I got robbed yesterday and inside of my bag I had my house keys and my address written on a piece of paper which was inside of the wallet so they potentially have it. The police officer told us to tell about the situation to the landlord and said he must change the locks and give us the keys for free as the insurance covers it when he provides with a crime number.
    The agent has said the landlord has the insurance only for the building and the insurance wouldn't cover the lock changing costs.
    I understand paying for a lost key but asking us to pay for the whole lock and keys to all the tenants? It even sounds ridiculous.
    What should we do?
    Tags: None

Re: I got robbed yesterday and the agent is asking me to pay for the lock change

Ask again if they say no you can pay for it then try to get money back otherwise the lock will remain unchanged if the LL will not pay now

Comment

Re: I got robbed yesterday and the agent is asking me to pay for the lock change

But who is meant to pay for it - we or the landlord?

Also our tenancy agreement says clearly :

Services provided by the landlord

A) repair and maintenance of the accommodation except damage caused by willful acts or neglect of the tenant...

Being robbed isn't a neglect act is it??

Comment

Hi and welcome

First question: What does your tenancy agreement say about missing/lost/stolen keys and their replacement?

Crossed with above posts which don't refer specifically to keys, but the fabric of the building

Comment

Nothing about missing/stolen keys is written in the agreement. It just says if we move out and don't return the keys we need to pay £30 which is understandable for me. But not changing the whole lock with the locksmith and providing every body in the house with a new key which even sounds ridiculous, and the agent asked for it.

Comment

Do yu not have your own contents insurance which might cover you for theft outside your home, or liability to others?

Comment

No, I haven't got any insurance.
              But as I said, paying for a spare key or cutting it somewhere just for my own use isn't a big deal. The problem is he is asking me to change the whole lock and provide everybody with a new key.

Comment

If you do have to pay for the new locks (and sorry but IMO you are liable and it is unlikely the landlords insurance will cover it, and he is likely to be carrying a large excess anyway) arrange a couple of quotes yourself.
                Depending on the sort of lock it may be possible just to change the barrel and supply all other tenants and landlord with new keys.

As you left your address with your keys it is a wise move to replace the lock.
                Not to do so would be negligent and could lead to further losses.

Comment

But do we have to cover the costs of it or the landlord? Is it normal they are asking us to change the lock and pay for it ourselves?

Comment

As the keys were in your possession, and you left your address with them, it is (at least imo) your responsibility to pay for securing the building.
                    The cost is down to you, hence the advice to obtain quotes for replacement locks.

Comment

I assume you live in a house converted into flats, with a communal entry door. A decent local locksmith will be able to change the lock cylinder for about £15 each on the communal door and the door to your flat, another £50 for both doors if you also need a deadlock. Callout and fitting is about £50, so not a total disaster.

I'm amazed your managing agent hasn't replaced the locks and charged your landlord. If I was a neighbour and found out that there was a set of keys stolen and the locks hadn't been changed immediately I would be furious.

Comment

If they are euro locks and you still have the keys than changing the cylinder is simple . Screwfix sell lock barrels just take the old one in.

Comment

I've already changed it, paid for it myself. I didn't want to argue with this asshole, this money isn't really worth it. Thanks for your help guys!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X