• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Received MoneyClaim Form - Court Order

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Received MoneyClaim Form - Court Order

Hi,

I have received a Moneyclaim court order from Northampton County Court Business Centre, from Cohen Cramer Solicitors on behalf of Lowell Portfolio:

Particulars of Claim:
    Claimant claims sum of £240
    Debt legally assigned to claimant on 12/Nov/2015, notice of which has been sent.
    Defendant failed to maintain contractual payments required under the terms of the account agreement.
    Claim includes statutory interest under the s.69 of the County Court Act 1984 at a rate of 8% per annum.

I have to reply on the MCOL website, or via the paper forms within 14 days of 16/09/2016

The debt was a phone contract from 2010.

The debt is listed on my Noddle Credit Report with the default date of February 2011, which is only 4-5 months from being statue barred.

There is a chance that the last payment made to the telecom company, prior to the debt being sold off, was more than 6 years ago -- as it takes a few months for a default date to be listed on a credit reference agency?

Would it be reasonable of me to Acknowledge the Service of the Moneyclaim, but enter a short defense of "The debt is time barred under the Limitation Act 1980 Section 5 in that the last payment or acknowledgement of this debt was made over six years ago and no further acknowledgement or payment has been made since that time. The claim is denied."

Unfortunately I am no longer with Nationwide, which would have been the bank account I made phone payments to during 2010.

If the debt is in fact not statute barred, will this affect me negatively?

I am capable of paying the debt, but I have had no contact with the claimants, so there's a chance that it is statue barred if the Default Date of Feb 2011 is a few months later than the last payment on the original phone contract? I received a letter from the claimant a few months a go offering a 50% reduction on the amount to clear it, but I had no money at the time. I would be more than happy to pay the amount with a similar reduction, but I assume now that it has gotten to the stage of this money claim that it is not possible?

Additionally, the money claim lists £50 legal representative's fees and £25 court fees as additional costs. Am I required to pay these if I admit the debt?

Kind regards.
    Tags: None

Re: Received MoneyClaim Form - Court Order

To save time and hassle you can pay the debt before court ends there try to get them to accept payment less fees or wait for a defence with help from LB if they win you can pay the judgement and no CCJ its a gamble if you want to try.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X