• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Ministers plan help for fuel poor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ministers plan help for fuel poor

Ministers plan help for fuel poor

Further price rises this year have been widely predicted

Plans to help elderly and vulnerable people pay their fuel bills are due to be announced by the government.
    New powers to share data are being planned so energy firms and the government can advise on the best value tariffs for gas and electricity.
    Ministers hope the measures will help alleviate the "fuel poverty" suffered by people on low-incomes.
    But campaigners say the plans do not go far enough, and that poorer families will continue to face a fuel crisis.
    Steep rises
    An estimated 2.3 million households are in fuel poverty - defined when more than 10% of household income is spent on fuel bills.
    Concern for those on low incomes is growing since energy suppliers announced steep rises in the price of gas and electricity. All the major suppliers announced double-digit increases in early 2008, and more rises are expected by the end of the year.

The new fuel poverty measures announced today won't fix the problem - people will still be left out in the cold

Ed Matthew, Friends of the Earth

Most of the energy companies have so-called "social tariffs", and ministers are proposing that data identifying poorer families could be shared with the companies to ensure they pay the cheaper rates.
    Age Concern director general Gordon Lishman said that the sharing of data was "controversial, but justified."
    He added: "We feel strongly that the severe pressure of rapidly rising energy prices justifies this kind of action, providing the data is handled by a trusted third party and people are fully informed about the scheme and given the option to opt out."
    Radical measures
    The charity estimates that 250,000 pensioners were pushed into fuel poverty by price rises earlier this year and has called for "radical new measures".
    An extra £3m is also being offered to encourage householders who want to generate their own power through wind turbines and solar panels.
    Ministers also want existing government programmes which help with energy efficiency to make sure people are aware of the help that is on offer.
    The announcements follow an agreement last month which should see the energy companies putting an extra £225m towards tackling fuel poverty over the next three years.
    Energy minister Malcolm Wicks said it was important to provide "sustainable solutions" for the elderly, disabled people, and young families at risk from fuel poverty.
    Fuel crisis
    But the measures have not satisfied some charities and campaigners for fuel efficiency.
    The National Housing Federation called for pre-payment meter charges - typically more than £100 higher than the average annual bill paid by direct debit - should be brought in line with standard rates.
    Kate Jopling, of Help the Aged, said: "While it is welcome news that the government is moving in the right direction on fuel poverty, this initiative does not go nearly far enough to deal with the looming fuel poverty crisis."
    Ed Matthew of Friends of the Earth said: "The new fuel poverty measures announced today won't fix the problem - people will still be left out in the cold.
    "The only way to warm up our four million fuel poor homes is to super-insulate them and help them produce their own energy. "

Re: Ministers plan help for fuel poor

The National Housing Federation called for pre-payment meter charges - typically more than £100 higher than the average annual bill paid by direct debit - should be brought in line with standard rates.

If this were ensured then it would take me out of the fuel poverty bracket. Just.

The other thing worrys me is that the 'fuel poor' defined as spending more than 10% of income on fuel - is it would be spending more than 10% if they heated their homes properly and didnt keep it off all winter to try and survive financially while making themselves ill. If I had kept us warmish through the winter it would have cost me about 20% of my income, because i can't afford it it cost me about 8% and we were shivering our bums off - so would I and others that use fuel according to what they can afford rather than according to what they need be left out of help schemes.

Also i think only families with a child under the age of 5 qualify for the current help available. Kids don't suddenly develop the ability to self heat after 5, though i assume those under 5 are more vulnerable to serious illnesses developing due to damp and cold.

Ed Matthew of Friends of the Earth said: "The new fuel poverty measures announced today won't fix the problem - people will still be left out in the cold.
    "The only way to warm up our four million fuel poor homes is to super-insulate them and help them produce their own energy. " __________________

Yep something I fully support - getting grants for insulation and other measures are really hard to get the rules are different all over the place of who can get what - that needs to be standardised IMO and made a lot more accessible.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

CHEAP TARIFF TEST
      A pilot scheme will test whether 3,000 households applying for Warm Front grants are on the cheapest tariff.

Once they have applied, they will be referred to their energy supplier for tariff advice so that they can make maximum savings.
      The scheme will be funded by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.
      But Help The Aged say that every 1% rise in fuel prices is putting 40,000 more people in fuel poverty and so the proposals do not go far enough.
      "We cannot use a sticking plaster to hold back a catastrophe. We cannot use these small-scale measures when we're facing a growing tide of fuel poverty," said Kate Jopling of Help The Aged.

MORE ADVICE
      Some £150,000 is being spent on extending a scheme known as Energy Best Deal.
      Ofgem has been running a pilot project in the South West, mid-Wales and North Yorkshire that trains people already working with low-income groups to give them advice on energy efficiency.
      The pilot project saw Citizens Advice staff given information on how to switch suppliers and how to make a home more efficient.
      The extended programme, funded by the Department of Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform, would see this rolled out nationally and could see Surestart and credit union staff trained to give advice too.
      Suppliers could set up new advice lines. Websites with information on how to switch suppliers are being urged to advertise their telephone numbers for those who do not have internet access.

ENERGY EFFICIENCY
      Some £3m is being spent as part of a pilot project to introduce fuel-saving microgeneration to fuel poor communities.
      This could see more use of pumps to use heat from underground.
      But campaigners say more effort should be made to cut costs for those paying for gas and electricity on pre-payment meters.
      They typically pay around £140 more on an annual bill than those who pay by direct debit. Regulator Ofgem says it is looking into these costs as part of an inquiry into competition in the domestic energy market.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

OFGEM PRESS Releaase More Document Information
        #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X