Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Divorce

  • Share
  • Thread Tools
  • Display
  1. #1
    fudge's Avatar

    Junior Member

    Mar 2015
    2 Post(s)

    Default Divorce

    Need some advice on divorce please. My ex wife and i seperated august 2013. I applied for a divorce september 2016 on the basis my ex wife agreed to 2 years seperation. She has received the papers but now changed her mind. I havent received the acknowledgement of service after 18 days from the court posting it. She is ignorning all texts and conversations now about it. I just want to move on.. do i have to amend the divorce? Im not sure where to go from here as i dont want to shell out on a solicitor.

  2. #2
    Peridot's Avatar

    Legal Admin

    May 2016
    161 Post(s)

    Default Re: Divorce

    Hi, there are several options when applying for the divorce. As you already know you can obtain a divorce after a two year separation with the consent of the other party. Without their consent the decree will not be granted. The other options you may wish to consider would be to wait five years, when a divorce would be granted without your ex's consent or to amend your application to obtain the divorce on the basis of the other persons unreasonable behaviour. You would need to provide about 4-5 examples of the unreasonable behaviour, which should be backed up with specifics that weren't too long ago. I would reckoned you obtain some legal advice on amending your application if this is a course of action available to you. You may be able to get a free half hour or reduced fee initial interview to point you in the right direction. The courts do provide various leaflets on divorce proceedings that may be helpful.

  3. #3
    FionaC's Avatar

    Authorised Solicitor

    May 2016
    12 Post(s)

    Default Re: Divorce

    Dear Fudge

    Has your wife said she won't complete the acknowledgement of service form? She may have done it and sent it to the court and it may be a delay with the court.

    If your wife is truly refusing to sign the paperwork then all is not lost. It is possible to issue another petition immediately based on her unreasonable behaviour and within that petition ask for the previous petition to be dismissed.

    You probably didn't claim your costs in the 2 years separation petition because it was by consent but you can claim your costs in a behaviour petition.

    I would e-mail your wife ( I am a great believer in clear, strong letters) saying that if she doesn't confirm to you with evidence ( ie a copy and date of postage) that she has sent off the acknowledgement of service form you will issue a new petition based on her unreasonable behaviour, seek legal advice ( you can do this or not later as you want) and make a claim for costs against her. obviously you can say that you really don't want to do this but would be left with not alternative.

    Hopefully she'll complete the form then! If not you may have to take action.

    Kind regards,

    I work for Howlett Clarke Solicitors . Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability. If you are unsure please seek formal legal guidance.

Similar Threads

  1. Getting a divorce - Arrange your own divorce
    By Amethyst in forum Divorce & Separation
    Replies: 11
    : 11th August 2017, 22:01:PM
  2. Divorce
    By Vickieburgon in forum Welcome Forum
    Replies: 4
    : 15th July 2016, 21:35:PM
  3. Divorce HELP - EEA family member rights after divorce
    By Faiza in forum Divorce & Separation
    Replies: 4
    : 23rd July 2015, 13:26:PM
  4. Help with a divorce
    By nuttynik in forum Divorce & Separation
    Replies: 1
    : 27th March 2011, 13:45:PM
  5. divorce help
    By b16dlg in forum Divorce & Separation
    Replies: 3
    : 12th January 2011, 11:23:AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Contact Us

© Celame (UK) Ltd 2017
LegalBeagles® are DPA Registered No. ZA158014
LegalBeagles® is the trading name of CELAME (UK) LIMITED ( 09220332 )
Registered Address: 25 Moorgate, London, England, EC2R 6AY
VAT registration number 206 9740 02
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.3 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Celame (UK) Ltd Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2017 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.

To find out more about managing your money and getting free advice, visit the Money Advice Service,an independent service set up to help people manage their money.