• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Divorce

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Divorce

Hi.
    Need some advice on divorce please. My ex wife and i seperated august 2013. I applied for a divorce september 2016 on the basis my ex wife agreed to 2 years seperation. She has received the papers but now changed her mind. I havent received the acknowledgement of service after 18 days from the court posting it. She is ignorning all texts and conversations now about it. I just want to move on.. do i have to amend the divorce? Im not sure where to go from here as i dont want to shell out on a solicitor.
    Tags: None

Re: Divorce

Hi, there are several options when applying for the divorce. As you already know you can obtain a divorce after a two year separation with the consent of the other party. Without their consent the decree will not be granted. The other options you may wish to consider would be to wait five years, when a divorce would be granted without your ex's consent or to amend your application to obtain the divorce on the basis of the other persons unreasonable behaviour. You would need to provide about 4-5 examples of the unreasonable behaviour, which should be backed up with specifics that weren't too long ago. I would reckoned you obtain some legal advice on amending your application if this is a course of action available to you. You may be able to get a free half hour or reduced fee initial interview to point you in the right direction. The courts do provide various leaflets on divorce proceedings that may be helpful.
    I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.

Comment

Re: Divorce

Dear Fudge

Has your wife said she won't complete the acknowledgement of service form? She may have done it and sent it to the court and it may be a delay with the court.

If your wife is truly refusing to sign the paperwork then all is not lost. It is possible to issue another petition immediately based on her unreasonable behaviour and within that petition ask for the previous petition to be dismissed.

You probably didn't claim your costs in the 2 years separation petition because it was by consent but you can claim your costs in a behaviour petition.

I would e-mail your wife ( I am a great believer in clear, strong letters) saying that if she doesn't confirm to you with evidence ( ie a copy and date of postage) that she has sent off the acknowledgement of service form you will issue a new petition based on her unreasonable behaviour, seek legal advice ( you can do this or not later as you want) and make a claim for costs against her. obviously you can say that you really don't want to do this but would be left with not alternative.

Hopefully she'll complete the form then! If not you may have to take action.

Kind regards,

FionaC
      I work for Howlett Clarke Solicitors . Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability. If you are unsure please seek formal legal guidance.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X