• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cause of Action - OD - Does anyone have any idea!!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cause of Action - OD - Does anyone have any idea!!!!!

So basically i have a debt with an OD and Robbers Way and Hoist are on the trail and it will soon to be a CC through the door like previous ones which i am dealing with. This one is different in that its an Over Draft which makes it much more complex.

Now does anyone have any idea of the COA?

Important dates on this account i have are as follows:

June 2010 - Account goes Dormant
    Sept 2010 - Account in Arrears and is in collection due to over limit
    Oct 2010 - £750 paid in by 3rd party
    Nov 2010 - £450 withdrawn to OD limit
    Nov 2010 - Account in Collections still due to underfunding since June 2010
    Jan 2011 Overdraft removed from account whole amount now unauthorised
    July 2011 Account Defaulted

So when on earth is the cause of action here????
    Tags: None

Re: Cause of Action - OD - Does anyone have any idea!!!!!

bump

Comment

Hi xxx

Personally I'd say it would be when the account was Defaulted would be easiest to argue - but that obvs doesn't get you to statute barred. Jan 2011 when the overdraft was withdrawn would be the other date - as cause of action is really when the lender was entitled to reclaim the amount owed in full, the date I think you are wanting to argue is Nov 2010? ( so still 2 months off) but I don't think that would have constituted a cause of action under the terms of the account (withdrawing £450 didn't entitle the bank immediately to reclaim it from you) ...... So you might try and put them off for another 6-10 months without acknowledging the debt ( not going to be easy ) by requesting information and documents to evidence what the debt is. But I'd hold fire until you have direct threats of court action first.

You will be wanting to check the terms and conditions of the account for the overdraft.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
        Hi xxx

Personally I'd say it would be when the account was Defaulted would be easiest to argue - but that obvs doesn't get you to statute barred. Jan 2011 when the overdraft was withdrawn would be the other date - as cause of action is really when the lender was entitled to reclaim the amount owed in full, the date I think you are wanting to argue is Nov 2010? ( so still 2 months off) but I don't think that would have constituted a cause of action under the terms of the account (withdrawing £450 didn't entitle the bank immediately to reclaim it from you) ...... So you might try and put them off for another 6-10 months without acknowledging the debt ( not going to be easy ) by requesting information and documents to evidence what the debt is. But I'd hold fire until you have direct threats of court action first.

You will be wanting to check the terms and conditions of the account for the overdraft.
        Once the account goes in to collections for underfunding and going over the agreed limit does this not constitute a breach of contract and entitle them to withdraw the agreed OD limit? If they take 6 months before they do this then that is surely their choice . Surely a lender cant affect the statute of limitations as debts could theoretically never time out under the act.

I was told that the account was in collections in March 2010 when the account was not being funded enough to entitle me to the over draft on the account. Which should constitute a breach of terms id guess? I remember £800 being the figure required per month which certainly didnt go in the account since June 2010 at the latest.

I know Hoist will say its the default date which is always the latest date but there are varying opinions on this subject with very little case law or evidence either way. I know the BMW ruling but given that was a HP type of finance on a secured asset its clearly different.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X