• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Mortgage shortfall - Natwest - disputing the amount

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mortgage shortfall - Natwest - disputing the amount

Hi all

I'm posting for the first time after many years of browsing on various debt-related forums and after seeking advice from national debtline etc. The short version of our story is that we got into arrears with our mortgage in 2007, and after moving into rented accommodation we voluntarily gave the keys to the property back to Natwest in 2009. They sold the property very quickly (within 8 days) and without attending to some serious damage incurred while the property was empty but still in our possession (it was burgled and they literally took the kitchen sink, all pipes/metal etc, it was a total mess). We had a Natwest insurance policy and were told they would arrange the repairs.

We have been pursued intermittently over the years for a £30k+ shortfall, which we disputed but didn't receive any formal resolution. We've never had any court action taken against us or anything more than they odd 'please contact us to discuss repayment' letter. There have been delays on both our part and on Natwest/Ascent Legal's, but we did a Subject Access Request recently and have last week submitted a formal complaint outlining all the reasons why we don't think they achieved a reasonable sale price.

I received the following email today:

Dear xxxxxx
    We refer to the above and to your emails in this matter.
    Upon receipt of your email we have referred this to our client. In regards to your case file we are no longer acting. Please be advised The Royal Bank of Scotland are aware of your concerns. We further confirm their contact details are:
    RBS Brindley Place
    Secured Debt Management Operations
    xxxxx
    Team number: xxxx
    Your Router number is: xxxx
    We trust this is all the information you require however should you require anything further please do not hesitate in contact our offices on xxxxxx.
    Kind Regards
    Ascent Legal

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what this may mean? I have called RBS Brindley Place and they say the case files are still with Ascent and I have to wait a few days for the handover to complete before they can tell me what happens next. I know I'm clutching at straws but might this mean they are going to stop pursuing the debt or write it off? Has anyone got experience of a lender taking a case file back from the solicitors they had instructed to pursue the debt and can let me know what happened with their case? I feel like we may be getting close to resolving this after all these years but want to manage my expectations. Any comments/advice gratefully received. Thanks for taking the time to read this.
    Tags: None

Re: Mortgage shortfall - Natwest - disputing the amount

Has the SAR been fulfilled or how many more days do they have to sent it.

Comment

Hi WalesMan! They've already sent all the info we were expecting from the SAR, and we used that to put together the evidence to support our dispute.

Comment

Update - I've spoken to RBS today who tell me that Ascent have 'closed out' on our case, but they still can't give me any additional information. Does anyone know if this term (closed out) is legal terminology? My googling suggests that it means that Ascent have decided it is no longer in their own interest to pursue the debt, but I'm not sure whether this means they have advised RBS not to enforce it. What do you all think?

Thanks

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X