• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

neighbour scaffolding or my building work, which takes prescidence?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• neighbour scaffolding or my building work, which takes prescidence?

My neighbour owns a barn on our boundary line and is having it re-roofed and turned into a house. He has planning permission and I have no objection but he didn't bother to tell me that he was having scaffolding erected today, I refused to allow it because it would mean a large part of my garden will be destroyed and I wanted time to dig up and save some of my plants. However, on discussion with him this afternoon he's now having the barn demolished and rebuilt, again I have no objection to this work but I was having a patio installed at the end of October when his scaffolding would be down as I'm selling my house. However, he's told me today that I can't have my patio installed until his building work is completed as it's too run against the side of the barn. This will have a detrimental effect on my house price and I'm not sure where I stand. Can he make me wait or can I make him compensate me for the financial loss? I was wondering if I could get something in writing that he will pay to install the patio once his building work is completed, which I can show to potential buyers? I'd appreciate any advice!
    Tags: None

Re: neighbour scaffolding or my building work, which takes prescidence?

Hi and welcome.
    Firstly its good to hear you are on talking terms with your neighbour..... we generally get to hear about it when negotiations have to be carried out through solicitors!

See what agreement you can come to over a cup of tea, and then draw it up as a written agreement.
    It should cover such things as access, timescales, limitations and compensation (he builds the patio?)

It seems to me that if you can't come to an agreement, he might find he can't obtain a court order to access your land to build his new house, so really you hold all the cards.

Comment

Thanks des8, I spoke to my neighbour today and although he took a lot of convincing he has agreed to put in my patio after his building work is completed and will provide a written agreement about everything - great outcome!

Comment

Well done.... just check the agreement is as agreed!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X