• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Equita baliff threatening full payment or goods seized

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Equita baliff threatening full payment or goods seized

Hi, I am new to the site and looking for advice. An aggressive, cocky young baliff arrived at my house for non payment of council tax. I informed him that I had a payment plan with one of his colleagues of which I have paid every month. He sarcastically said no you have defaulted I have taken the debt over and if you don't pay in full now we will remove your goods. This was also the day of my son's 7th birthday and he made a comment hope you didn't get him anything nice or valuable I can't remember exact words. We managed to convince him that we would find the money and he said you have until Monday this visit was 2pm Friday. I asked him where my money was going each month that I was paying and he couldn't answer and his office couldn't answer me. Just wanted some advice on what we should do I am speaking to the council first thing and what should I say to them? Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Equita baliff threatening full payment or goods seized

Unless you have previously let the bailiffs gain peaceful entry to your property they are not allowed to break in / push past you etc to obtain goods. Firstly make sure all your doors and windows are locked at all times and if he does arrive speak with him through an upstairs window telling him you are not disputing the debt exists but you are not going to allow him peaceful entry to your property and that you are going to speak with the council only. Email your local council and explain the situation to them also how much you have already paid the bailiffs and request that they call the account back from the bailiffs and come to a payment arrangement with them. Should you receive the standard response of "your account is with the bailiffs and you need to deal with them" email them again with the proposed offer and make regular payments of that amount on the same date each month. They cannot refuse your offer, only a dimwit would put themselves in a position of refusal.

Comment

Thank you for your reply that has really helped. A quick question can the baliffs keep turning up and adding costs whilst I am paying the council? Thanks

Comment

I know things have changed regarding bailiff fees and I'm not able to give any advice on that as I don't know what the new rulings are. Once the council take the account back though ask them for a breakdown of what you actually owe them and not their goon squad. You shouldn't have to pay their fees once the council take the account back.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X