• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Wording on a liability order

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wording on a liability order

Originally posted by Adamna View Post
    So, no actual Liability Order, no notice that there is one and the first you could know about it is a bailiff on the doorstep. Good grief. Was that the same legislation that allowed bailiffs to call on a Sunday? Is nothing sacred?
    Please rest assured that we are still living in the UK and not North Korea.

A liability order simply empowers an authority to use other forms of enforcement to recover the debt, including that of using bailiffs. Guidelines state that wherever possible, bailiffs should be a last resort. The correct procedure would be for an authority to contact the debtor to seek information regarding the suitability for an attachment. The National Standards also state at paragraph 10:
    Creditors have a responsibility to tell the debtor that if payment is not made within a specified period of time, action may be taken to enforce payment.

Comment

Are The National Standards guidance or legislation? Because guidance can be trampled over with glee.

Comment

Trampled over with glee by who?

Certainly not the LGO.

Comment

Originally posted by Indebt View Post
          Please rest assured that we are still living in the UK and not North Korea.

A liability order simply empowers an authority to use other forms of enforcement to recover the debt, including that of using bailiffs. Guidelines state that wherever possible, bailiffs should be a last resort. The correct procedure would be for an authority to contact the debtor to seek information regarding the suitability for an attachment. The National Standards also state at paragraph 10:

Creditors have a responsibility to tell the debtor that if payment is not made within a specified period of time, action may be taken to enforce payment.
          I am aware that there are changes being considered at present (possibly for early next year) where an Attachment of Earnings is to be considered before bailiff enforcement. This in itself could cause major problems to debtors and will make the absence of the previous '14 day' letter even more important.

Comment

Hi [MENTION=30402]Milo[/MENTION]

Originally posted by Milo View Post
            I am aware that there are changes being considered at present (possibly for early next year) where an Attachment of Earnings is to be considered before bailiff enforcement. This in itself could cause major problems to debtors and will make the absence of the previous '14 day' letter even more important.
            There are a number of rules suposed to be in place now that are supposed to be looked at before applying for liability orders, and there mostly ignored or bypassed. This part of the system is mainly self regulated/checked ( bonkers idea ) Incredibly, some councils ( manchester was a good example ) paid bonuses to staff for LO action.

Why dont councils employ collection agents directly, To help collect CT of those struggling
            crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Originally posted by Adamna View Post
              Are The National Standards guidance or legislation? Because guidance can be trampled over with glee.
              Chief Executive's response at para 3 in final stage of a formal complaint:

3. National standards for enforcement agents

It is your opinion that the "Notice of bailiffs attendance" does not comply with National standards for enforcement agents.

This point has already been answered in some detail as part of our stage one response, which makes it clear that these are guidelines only. These can be viewed on the following web page and includes the following statement "This national guidance does not replace local agreements, existing agency codes of practice or legislation".

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.g...t/agents02.htm

It is the practice of Rosendale's Ltd to detail.......
              Notice how sneaky the CEO was by not quoting the the full paragraph which goes on to say that the standards should be regarded as minimum.
              "This national guidance does not replace local agreements, existing agency codes of practice or legislation; rather it sets out what the Department, those in the industry and some major users regard as minimum standards."
              Last edited by outlawlgo; 20th September 2016, 13:27:PM.

Comment

Certainly not the LGO.
                I think most of us have witnessed how effective the LGO has been in outlawlgo's experience. The clue is in the name. As ever, it's whatchagonnadoaboutit?

Comment

I have plenty of experience with the LGO. I have never known her to take the councils side if either the NS or the guidelines from the DCLG have been breached.

A council have to justify the use of bailiffs. They simply cannot do this by obtaining a LO and passing the account over to bailiffs without first attempting to contact the debtor.

As I said previously, this is the UK, not North Korea.

Comment

Certainly not the LGO.
                    I think most of us have witnessed how effective the LGO has been in outlawlgo's experience. The clue is in the name. As ever, it's whatchagonnadoaboutit?

Comment

Not quite sure of the relevance between Outlaw's case and cases involving breaches of the National Standards but I'm sure you know what you're going on about.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X