• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Stolen property wanting returned from the police

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stolen property wanting returned from the police

Sorry if this isn't the right section, non of them seemed to fit my dilemma.

I had a break in 9 days ago, they took my car keys and wallet, then left with the car, it was found a few hours later and the scrote was found with my keys and service book an hour after that.

I've sold the car and I want my car key and service book back, they say it is evidence and need it, can I insist on it being returned?

I thought about compromise and tell them they can keep the keyring and house key but give me the car key and book back. any ideas?

I really need them back as I've part exchanged the car.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by BenScoobert; 6th September 2016, 09:44:AM.
    Tags: None

Re: Stolen property wanting returned from the police

Hi and Welcome
    What a pain!
    The property won't be returned to you until the officer in charge of the case has authorised it for release.The police can keep relevant property until a case has been resolved
    Have they actually returned the car but retained the keys and service book?
    Obviously you don't have a spare key, but is it feasible to obtain a duplicate?

Comment

Re: Stolen property wanting returned from the police

Hi, thanks for your reply, I do have another key but if you want to sell the car then you need both or they want to know where the other is.
      An update on this though, I spoke to the officer in charge, he saw no value in keeping the key if they could keep the keyring, and the service documents were allowed to be returned but they wanted to keep the plastic cover for further finger printing.
      So a decent day after all.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X