• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

British Gas Default; Can I get it removed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Gas Default; Can I get it removed?

So I've recently looked at my credit file using experian and it appears I have a default on my account from a british gas account I held with an old housemate in 2012. Bit of back story, I paid her my half of the bill as the direct debit left her account but she never paid and then moved to Canada for 8 months. As far as I knew she had paid the bill. I had moved address by this point and the next thing I know I am bombarded with letters from debt collection agencies around 10 months later. She settled the account in the end but my credit file has now been marked due to her negligence.

On closer inspection it doesn't appear that the default was added to the account until 2014?! I was under the impression a default was added after 6 months?

Is there anything I can do to get this removed from my account? I've attached the noddle image of the default if that helps!
    Attached Files
    Tags: None

Re: British Gas Default; Can I get it removed?

Originally posted by sthornto97 View Post
    So I've recently looked at my credit file using experian and it appears I have a default on my account from a british gas account I held with an old housemate in 2012. Bit of back story, I paid her my half of the bill as the direct debit left her account but she never paid and then moved to Canada for 8 months. As far as I knew she had paid the bill. I had moved address by this point and the next thing I know I am bombarded with letters from debt collection agencies around 10 months later. She settled the account in the end but my credit file has now been marked due to her negligence.

On closer inspection it doesn't appear that the default was added to the account until 2014?! I was under the impression a default was added after 6 months?

Is there anything I can do to get this removed from my account? I've attached the noddle image of the default if that helps!
    Good morning, welcome to LB.

The Information Commissioners Office Technical Guidance on Defaults states the Defaults SHOULD be placed within six months of the cause of action, but this Guidance only.

You can place a notice of dispute/correction on the credit files Call Credit (Noddle) Experian and Equifax.

The disputed default:

1. Is this in BG's name still?

2. I presume the account was in both names?

3. If so your way forward is to make a Formal Complaint to BG's Data Controller, stating that the default was placed unreasonably/and unfairly late,
    putting you at a disadvantage in regard to the ICO's guidance.

4. You should ask for the default to be back dated to a more reasonable date.

5. A Formal Complaint allows the recipient 56 days to investigate and respond.

nem

Comment

Re: British Gas Default; Can I get it removed?

Thank you for your quick response and useful advice!

Yes the default is in BG's name, and because it was a joint account I have been told I am legally responsible. I did go down the route of getting a letter signed by myself and the other party stating that she takes full responsibility for the account going into arrears but they weren't having any of it. I also asked that the default be removed as a gensture of goodwill given that it was for under £500 but again they werent having it.

I'll try going down the formal complaint route and see whether I have better luck, I know other people have managed to get them removed early due to the lateness of default placement. Fingers crossed!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X