• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Company Winding up Petitions Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Company Winding up Petitions Question

I'm currently working with a company who have been knocked for quite a bit of money.

They are going through the motions of re-financing some machinery just in case their claim isn't successful and they are left with a big dent in the bank balance.

The company has received a letter from one supplier in particular stating that they should pay the bills etc (understandably) and that if not received by xth by xxhrs then a winding up petition would be raised..

Our guys have put the letters forward to a solicitor but I thought I had read (on here possibly) that winding up petitions/threats of them should not be used as means of 'debt collection' and could be seen as an abuse of process within the courts.

Is that so?
    Tags: None

Re: Company Winding up Petitions Question

Hello Qazmko

Sorry to hear of this threat for company/ bankruptcy/ wind up petition.
    @Kati ..for signposting. Possibly @R0b @ [MENTION=48934]Debt Camel[/MENTION] @des8 [MENTION=6]Amethyst[/MENTION], and whomever else.

Comment

Generally, winding up proceedings should be seen as a last resort and as you have pointed out, not a means to force a company to pay a debt which is owed. There are other means which may be appropriate such as litigation, ADR etc.

A company can be placed into compulsory liquidation by a court for a number of reasons but the most common and appropriate one here is that the company is unable to pay its debts. There are two tests, the cash flow test and the balance sheet test. The former is where the court will seek evidence to show that the company is paying its debts as they are due, whereas the latter is a shortfall in the difference between the company's assets and the liabilities that it has. The court will determine all of this on a factual basis after all evidence is submitted.

The usual route to show the above is either for them to serve a statutory demand which they have 3 weeks to pay up or it will be deemed that they are unable to pay their debts or, for the creditor to obtain a CCJ and the company fails to pay it within the specified period.

The winding up petition has certain requirements and procedures which must be complied with such as putting a notice in the London Gazette, so it is usual for a solicitor or barrister to do all of this and represent them in court on the winding up hearing.

Note: If there is a disputed debt, then the winding up petition will usually be dismissed.
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Not an area I know anything about - good luck!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X