• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Manager Refused Reasonable Holiday Request - For No Reason

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manager Refused Reasonable Holiday Request - For No Reason

Our old manager has had to return to our section due to issues relating to certain jobs, mine being one of those, so he's not happy. He won't take our advice, and thinks it's our fault, so is basically being an arse to make our lives harder.

My issue is that I requested holiday, 5 months in advance, to take my family to a show, and use up accrued hours before I lose them. I checked our holiday board to make sure it could be accommodated as I always do, and even took an photo as proof, as I always do. The request was refused. I checked with my union rep, he said there was no reason it should be refused as there is adequate labour on those dates. There is not urgency with the union, and they have sad they will get my holiday sorted nearer the time, which is no good when trying to plan for a family. They are also completely overlooking the part where I have been treated unfairly, they are reluctant to do anything against management to be honest. A colleague was also given a day I had refused a week later. He has said he will back me up should I need to.

I did speak to this manager when he was talking to a group of us about issues, and asked if we had any. I said "Yes, you refused my holiday, for no reason" ......His response, in front for 15 men was "You're not having them"I........ I asked for what reason His reply was "I make the decisions" ............. I've got 5 witnesses to this who will back me up.

I would like some advice I where I stand legally with this, as there is no was in 2016 that you can be treated like this by a manager. I need to ammunition to take back to the union so they just brush me off as they have been.

My whole family are suffering from this as I was not able to confirm a holiday later in the year t be in line with my Mrs, and also by tickets for a show my kids wanted to see.
    Tags: None

Re: Manager Refused Reasonable Holiday Request - For No Reason

Unfortunately, as long as you are permitted to take statutory minimum holiday entitlement at some time during the year, the employer has the right to refuse to grant any holiday requests and they don't have to give a reason. So, there's no legal ammunition available for you.

See WTR1998 s.15(2)(b) below.
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1...lation/15/made

Comment

Re: Manager Refused Reasonable Holiday Request - For No Reason

If this issue is personal, and it certainly sounds like it was, then you have two choices ..... complain to a higher manager or accommodate this existing manager about the uneasiness that exists and try and put it right.

Complaining to a higher level may well increase tensions ( I have had the exact situation ) so you may decide to grin and bear it for that reason. I do agree that you probably have no legal case to demand otherwise but like all these issues, they involve personalities and if you can start resonating with those, things could well improve.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X