• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

paying debt to equita

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paying debt to equita

Hi,

My situation might seem very silly but I was hoping someone might help.

I forgot to pay part of my council tax. I did not realize it because the council tax is under the name of my "landlord".
    My landlord is actually a person I know and while he lives abroad for a a few months I am paying him some rent and also pay with my debit card his council tax on the website of the council.
    For this reason, the council tax letters always came under his name and he just showed me the installments when I settled in.

I had never missed any payment until I did (I had the money but it just slipped out of my mind). As all the letters come under his name and I am respectful of his privacy, I did not notice any letters from the council until I received a letter with a red stamp on it saying enforcement notice, which I opened because it seemed something urgent.

After then checking my bank statements I realized I missed one council tax payment a couple of months ago and I suspect this is the reason why they sent the letter.

I have read elsewhere on the forum that I should only pay the actual council tax arrears and not the 235 pounds of fees that the company claims.

Nevertheless, I think I will go for the payment including their extravagant fees, because I want to sort this out without making a fuss and discussing the fees - I want to come clean on this to my landlord and be able to tell him that I have everything sorted rather that entering into a sort of legal fight with the bailiff that will clearly scare and disappoint him since he was trusting me to pay the council tax. Please remember this person is someone I like, and who I wouldn't like to scare while he is abroad over some fees.

Therefore I have a question: if i pay direct to the company will the council drop the charge ? I mean I don't know that Equita company and how can I make sure that they won't make any complications and that they will duly report to the council that I have, indeed, paid his debt ? In other words if I pay the debt on their website including the fees will they leave me alone ? On their website I see a link to pay, is that reliable ?
    https://ip.e-paycapita.com/AIP/dataE...nibasx59gh42h1

Also I am quite scared because I realize that my stupidity might cause him to have a lower credit score or be in trouble if some referencing agencies digs out this liability order... Is the liability order something that might prevent him from getting a mortgage or a rental if he applies for it ? I would feel so bad......

Thanks for your help...
    Tags: None

Re: paying debt to equita

The fees should be 75 then 235 not just 235 was their a liabilityorder granted which you were paying prior to the missed payment?

Comment

The debt will NOT affect your landlords credit rating. A Liability Order is not registered with any credit reference agency.

The bailiff visit fee should be £235 but there would also have been a Compliance fee of £75 added when Equita sent their initial letter.

Comment

Originally posted by Milo View Post
        The debt will NOT affect your landlords credit rating. A Liability Order is not registered with any credit reference agency.

The bailiff visit fee should be £235 but there would also have been a Compliance fee of £75 added when Equita sent their initial letter.
        Hello,

Thanks for your reply. Yes there was a liability order and yes I have also those 75 pounds of compliance fee...

I have decided to pay them... I understand that I am not liable to those fees and that those fees are a scam but I really can't afford to make my landlord freak out with legal disputes about those fees... So at least now I know that I've cleaned up my own mess. At least I hope so.

Have a good evening

Comment

The fees are legal all of us on here agree its a scam but a good deterent and the 75 should get the debt paid before 235 is added

Comment

The fees are not a 'scam' at all. The fees are prescribed in legislation that was introduced in April 2014 (see below):

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2...ade?view=plain

Comment

Just because the fee is laid down by parliament doesn't mean many won't consider it a scam, just as many consider TV licensing a scam

Legally owed but nevertheless ...

I do find it weird that if the payment was missed two months ago , there has already been a Liability order and referral to bailiffs - all seems very fast

Comment

Its law but some think its a scam if you pay the first 75 and whats owed it stops the 325 being added

Comment

Is the council tax, under the landlord's name, as he should, have to pay it, not yourself, find out, are you in a shared. Accomadation, or renting, PM me your detail's.

Comment

Originally posted by Linus View Post
                    Just because the fee is laid down by parliament doesn't mean many won't consider it a scam, just as many consider TV licensing a scam

Legally owed but nevertheless ...

I do find it weird that if the payment was missed two months ago , there has already been a Liability order and referral to bailiffs - all seems very fast
                    Not if you don't watch Live TV as in scheduled broadcasts, and from today BBC I-Player Amazon Prime TV, and Netflix along with other catch up and on demand services, DVD and Blu-Ray, YouTube etc, doesn't require a TV License. Crapita TVL will say otherwise and try to scam the legally license free into paying for one.

If it was a Crapita infested council then yes it would be fast tracked to a LO, probably Crapita would seek a LO for a penny, North East Lincolnshire Council have done just that,

Comment

bit bad really send the information on here, i'll have a look into it.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X