• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Extension Plans cost dispute

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extension Plans cost dispute

Hi all. Haven't posted on here since the demise of British Passport Services!

We are planning an extension to our house and informally contracted, on recommendation, an acquaintance's father-in-law. He emailed us stating he charges '£325 for planning and building approval, no charge for amendments or re-submissions'. The local authority fees are separate from this, as was a payment made to a structural engineer for some calculations necessary for Building regs.

Long story short, after much changing of errors on the plans, amendments requested by Building Control, and two very minor changes to the plans requested by us (double instead of single rear door, and moving the location of an upstairs bathroom/window which led to Planning being consulted and an Non-Material Amendment [NMA] having to be submitted), plans are now approved.

The guy is now asking for £425, however, only telling us this AFTER everything is done, and stating that he's 'sure we can appreciate he's done extra work'. No mention that further charges would be payable at any stage before this.

Of course, we've queried the extra charge - and have had several sarcastic and quite rude emails back. He wants to come to see us (or us to go see him) or phone him, to discuss the 'extra charges'. He also agreed to accept payment via online banking but since we've queried the charge he is now insisting on cash 'as agreed' (we never agreed to pay him cash and in fact asked if we could pay by our bank early in the process). He has failed to provide a written breakdown of his cost, save that the 'NMA' itself seems to be the extra £100. I've looked into this and he had to move/amend 3 boxes on the plans he was already working on, plus write one email to Planning, and then write less than 50 words on an online form (all of which he OFFERED to do, without telling us it would be chargeable), so asking for effectively 1/3 of the cost of the whole set of plans for some relatively very minor amendments smacks of opportunism to me.

I've been advised by our builder to offer to meet his extra charge halfway (ie an extra £50) just to resolve it. I really don't want to have to meet this guy personally or even speak to him and I want to pay him online as getting the cash will involve a trip into town just to please him - why should I? I should clarify that he has emailed giving his bank details saying we can make the payment to his bank already, however when I tried to set up the payment his sort code came up unrecognised and he's so far failed to re-confirm it despite being asked, insisting on meeting us and demanding cash.

Any advice appreciated as I intend to email him later today with our offer. He lives locally but I've never met him (my wife had the initial meeting) and to be frank I've no desire to!
    Tags: None

Re: Extension Plans cost dispute

Do you have it in writing that the total cost would only be 325?

Comment

Yes indeed, on an email, so if I wanted to be a barsteward I could be. However I'm prepared to offer the £50 olive branch, especially as we know his son & DIL - our son's in their son's class....

I'm more curious about the payment scenario and whether he has the right to demand cash (he's self emp anyway, I think this is a side project so he's probably keen to avoid financial tracks).

Comment

Offer the 50 extra if you want and pay by cheque or bank transfer you got a transaction record then

Comment

My thinking exactly! Cheers for the advice.

If anyone else has any comments, I'd be grateful.

If I wish to share the email I've drafted in response to this for comments, would it be better in the VIP forum? I have no idea who lurks on here...
          Last edited by didactosaurus; 27th August 2016, 19:12:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X